A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Odd "clunking" on initial take off in S6 Avant...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd "clunking" on initial take off in S6 Avant...

this has happened since day one and continues unchanged after almost 3 months.

On initial driveaway, there will be a mild clunk felt through the brake pedal (and a little in the steering wheel)...it usually occurs after first reversing out of the driveway and starting to pull away in drive. Can also occur when pulling away in drive after not first reversing...such as in a parking lot. It ONLY occurs on the first pull away after starting the car. The car does not need to have been sitting long and does NOT have the parking brake on. It NEVER occurs from pulling away from a light or stop sign. This is odd...I have not addressed it with the dealer because it is so minor, but it is slightly (very slightly) annoying and gives a low-quality feel to it...especially to explain it to passengers who would otherwise be impressed with Audi

Any thoughts...seems like a brake issue...seems like it is coming from the front...maybe more the passenger side...maybe a little slow to release caliper...but why not from a stop or light also? Odd....thanks...
Old 03-31-2002, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have a little of that also....

I live at the end of a cul-de-sac, so backing out and driving away involves an effective 180 degree turn, and a fairly tight one at that. I have noticed a little bit of that clunk also after engaging drive and starting forward motion. I had attributed it to reversing the lash in all those drive bits while at lock and hadn't thought much about it although I suppose it could be in the brakes I don't know that mine is even significant enough that a passenger would notice. In fact my wife hadn't noticed even though she drives it more than I.

I do have some brake noise issues (groaning) when slowly coming to a stop or slowly releasing them to drive off, but those are completely different than the very small clunk I am referring too above. I'ld be interested to hear what a dealer says but it hasn't actually been on my list for the next dealer visit. In fact I'm happy to say, mine's not been back to a dealer since new because there is nothing of any significance on the list.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:27 AM

Default Are you sure this isn't the ABS self-test thingy...?

Both my A4 and my A6 do this when you just get rolling. I believe it occurs at a certain speed, something like 4 MPH or something. I have a long driveway, so I first feel it while backing out. If you have a short driveway, perhaps you're not always up to that speed while backing out, and sometimes you hear it while backing up, sometimes only once you start going forward. And it only happens once after startup, which is consistent with what you're describing.

I'm not sure what the self-test does during this, but it's definitely there by design. This was a common question on the A4 board.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Happens in my 01 2.7t also, i have no idea what it is
Old 03-31-2002, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Depleted masking tape roll lodged in wheel well...I'd bet on it.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:36 AM

Default TTs have this issue....on most of them (including my wife's) is it the front sway bar....

some of the 225Qs had faulty swaybars which had bad right hand flanges or bad bushings.

Our TT is fwd and has had the sway bar/suspension tightened twice and the clunk is returning for a third time at 34k miles.

Don't know if this is the problem in the A6s, mine does not have this issue, but I'd get it checked out. It only got worse over time in the TT.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:10 PM

Hollow sound coming from your wallet?
Old 03-31-2002, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I had to sell the wallet
Old 03-31-2002, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Happens on an S4 also. I believe it's all those damn pads moving around initially.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mild clunk through brake pedal on driveaway? May I suggest using the gas pedal to take off? ;-)

Have you ever noticed it on the 4.2? Never felt it myself, but I don't ever reverse out of our parking...we back it in and pull out in drive...

Hope that you find out what it is and get Audi to fix it before I order my S6 next year.

TIA!

Quick Reply: Odd "clunking" on initial take off in S6 Avant...