A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

P1128 and P1130 codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1128 and P1130 codes

Recently I put in an aftermarket air intake, one of the cone air filters from Spectre for unrestricted airflow. http://www.spectreperformance.com/in...tall-blue.html

Codes P1128 and P1130 showed up after around 100 clicks, wondering if it has something to do with the MAF Sensor, O2 sensors, vacuum leak or what?

Could it be because the engine is intaking a LOT more air now? And yes, there is an increase in power (0-100km ~10 sec to ~8.5 sec), but it's giving me a CEL.....

If someone could help me out that would be awesome =D

I have a 1998 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8L almost 200k
Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Andy, welcome. You won't benefit from the CAI on this car, zero, zilch. It anything, on a hot day, it will be worse, since the CAI will be sucking hot air from the engine bay.

In any case, all the codes are in Wiki @ Ross-Tech.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17538/P1130

1128 is for Bank 1, 1130 is for Bank 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if your oiled-up cone filter mucked the MAF. Also make sure you don't have any leaks in the intake after the MAF, no cracks, make sure you didn't didsturb anything there.

17536/P1128/004392 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean
Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Possible Causes

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor faulty
Oxygen Sensor Control faulty
Oxygen Sensor(s) faulty
Fuel Injector(s) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
Check Oxygen Sensor Control
Check Oxygen Sensor(s)
Check Fuel Injector(s)
Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Hey Andy, welcome. You won't benefit from the CAI on this car, zero, zilch. It anything, on a hot day, it will be worse, since the CAI will be sucking hot air from the engine bay.

In any case, all the codes are in Wiki @ Ross-Tech.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17538/P1130

1128 is for Bank 1, 1130 is for Bank 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if your oiled-up cone filter mucked the MAF. Also make sure you don't have any leaks in the intake after the MAF, no cracks, make sure you didn't didsturb anything there.

17536/P1128/004392 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean
Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Possible Causes

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor faulty
Oxygen Sensor Control faulty
Oxygen Sensor(s) faulty
Fuel Injector(s) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
Check Oxygen Sensor Control
Check Oxygen Sensor(s)
Check Fuel Injector(s)
Alright, so I went out and bought a new MAF sensor yesterday day, installed and cleared codes, it didn't fix it, I drove around 70km and it came back on with the same codes.
I don't believe it's the fuel injectors since I just replaced those 2 months ago.
I will change the o2 sensors next and post an update.

Oh also it's not just a filter, I have a custom made pipe that brings the filter near the front of the car and a custom 3d printed deflector to allow suction/intake of cold air from front of car. And a titanium thermal isolation honeycomb board between the intake and pipe from the engine.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Kwan
Alright, so I went out and bought a new MAF sensor yesterday day, installed and cleared codes, it didn't fix it, I drove around 70km and it came back on with the same codes.
I don't believe it's the fuel injectors since I just replaced those 2 months ago.

Oh also it's not just a filter, I have a custom made pipe that brings the filter near the front of the car and a custom 3d printed deflector to allow suction/intake of cold air from front of car. And a titanium thermal isolation honeycomb board between the intake and pipe from the engine.
Oh wow…that ought to give you an extra 50 hp!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andy Kwan

That's pretty extensive, post a pic of the setup. Still not much to gain, the stock filter flows surprisingly well.

I did not mean to imply to get a new MAF. Some cleaning could possibly help, but if you installed a new one and still have the codes, something else is the culprit.

Edit: I wouldn't just throw more parts at it. If you have vag-com, check the O2 sensors output.

Also, I would try to install the stock air box back to see if the issue remains.

Lastly, you changed fuel injectors, what did you install?

Last edited by GTA_Driver; 10-29-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Alright, here's an update.

I've bought and changed all the O2 sensors as well and cleared the codes, after driving a while, the same codes came up.

The fuel injector question: I replaced the 6 fuel injectors and the metal bars/tubings, I don't know if it's anything special or something, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any special parts that I missed.

Also I checked all the connections going to all the sensors with Fluke multimeter and Tektronix Oscilloscope (yes, I have electrical experience) and they were fine.

I also replaced my gas cap and check for vacuum leak. Nothing wrong there.

What else could it be?? This is becoming ridiculous...

I will post a new update in a couple days, after I put back original air filter and intake...
Old 10-31-2013, 02:56 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

So all this started after installing an aftermarket intake? Why wouldn't you return the car to stock and see if that fixes the problem?