A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rattle at cold: oil or tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle at cold: oil or tensioner?

When I start the car for the first time of the day, it makes a rattle from the cam tensioner, driver's side.
As soon as the oil starts to circulate it goes away and do not came back until the car rests for hours again. Even after a one hour+ stop, no rattles.
I presume that if the car remains stopped the oil will go slowly down to the pan. If the stop is long enough so all the oil go down, the rattle apears.

Now, is it the oil that is not reaching the tensioner fast enough on start or the tensioner should hold oil inside it but this is leaking if the car is stopped (meaning a bad tensioner)?
What can cause this rattle? Thanks for any help!

Last edited by fmstocco; 12-16-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by fmstocco
When I start the car for the first time of the day, it makes a rattle from the cam tensioner, driver's side.
As soon as the oil starts to circulate it goes away and do not came back until the car rests for hours again. Even after a one hour+ stop, no rattles.
I presume that if the car remains stopped the oil will go slowly down to the pan. If the stop is long enough so all the oil go down, the rattle apears.

Now, is it the oil that is not reaching the tensioner fast enough on start or the tensioner should hold oil inside it but this is leaking if the car is stopped (meaning a bad tensioner)?
What can cause this rattle? Thanks for any help!

dude you really need to calm down about every sound your hear. when its cold out its normal for all sorts of things to rattle and shake and make noise untill the car warms up. another thing is it takes a while for the oil to flow when its cold
Old 12-16-2009, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are you sure the rattling isn't coming from, say, the valve lash adjusters and not the timing chain tensioners?

VLA rattle at start up may seem a bit startling but it is actually quite normal on a cold engine if and only if it only lasts for no more than like 1-2 seconds immediately after start up. If you keep hearing the rattling while the engine is warming up then is when you got a problem.