A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Reliability or Lack of iI!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability or Lack of iI!

My family owns two Audi's, a 2000 A6 2.7T quattro and a 2001 allroad. We have had nothing but problems. At 5,000 miles the A6 had a computer failure which needed to be replaced. At 31,000 miles the A6 blew both turbos. Now at 33,000 miles the EPC light keeps coming on because of a worn throttle accuator. The car is a piece of junk. Just look at the forum articles ... always nothing but problems. As for my allroad, and I must admit Audi did the right thing when they spelled it in lower case. It too is now begining to experience problems, mostly electrical. To name just one, recently a new altenator at 42,000 miles. There also have been other problems along the way, leveling modules, the infamous 45 MPH wobble. Well, I have to tell you, once, twice but never again. I would really like to know how many Audi owners have had at least one problem with their car and how many never have had a problem.
Be honest.
e honest.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

6 late model Audis and one minor problem.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

one word: LeMoN!
Old 10-30-2003, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I have never owned a new car that has not had a problem!

I will say that I will not keep an Audi past the 4yr/50K. If I ever did, it would have the best extended warranty. That goes for any of the cars I want, they all are very expensive to fix.
I hate to say it, but to get the driving experience that only a german car can give you, you have to give up the Lexus type quality. You know what, even Lexus has serious problems. My brother has two (LS430 & LX470.) The 470 has 5K and the front of the car dropped all the way and the rear suspension was all the way up (it looked like a low rider in the front, it was that low.)
I think that all of the new cars are made far "cheaper" than they used to be.
I have not had a major problem with the TT, and the only problem I have with the S6 is the vibration.....hope to have that fixed this visit.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Doesn't sound that bad...

3 problems in 33,000 miles and 3 in 42,000...hmmm...I've had more with both my cars...although they were relatively minor.

Only the vibration bothers me...the rest I don't care, that is what the warranty is for. Of course, I wouldn't want a 2.7T engine...freaking turbos go way too frequently...and if I did get one, it would be gone by 50k...and, in truth, with how expensive a new transmission is, I wouldn't keep it without a warranty.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 165K miles on a '96 A4 2.8Q, mostly trouble-free

The car never let me down and never had anything more than minor glitches, until about 150K mi when the center driveshaft had to be reconditioned and the sunroof motor went out. I loved that car and it looked fantastic.

2001 2.7T that I bought a couple months ago with <15K mi is a little different as regards annoyances. Bumper and window track recalls and replaced brakes at 15K; replaced brakes again at 22K after the tire recall (incorrect torque on remounting caused all 4 rotors to warp); cupholder fell apart in normal use; xenon alignment issue just discovered; and a Bose speaker that just started to get buzzy. Minor, persistent rattles/squeaks and wind noise as well. I'm not an especially fussy driver, but it's hard not to get a bit irritated. On the other hand, when you want to cut loose, this thing is an absolute blast to drive. Which is not the case with my sister's brand new Lexus GS300 or my other sister's Acura TL or whatever they call em .. dull, dull, dull.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You don't, per chance, live in Michigan do you?

Seems that you've had a few minor problems over a fair number of miles.

Recommended Solution: buy a Lexus.

Seriously.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Hulk has 86k and only a RR oil seal blown on the axle.

(See sig for Hulk specs.)

This thing pulls toys, others out of 40" snow, tree stumps, 4-wheels and I've only self-inflicted one other break. Grenaded the steering gear box 4 wheeling too fast in too rough stuff.

2.7T now has 3860 mi and the driver's side floormat broke (retention ring seperated) after 2 days. Delivered with a broken rear center headrest. So far, so good.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default On forums such as these, you are far more likely to hear

of "problems"...perceived and real. Those without problems (or "minor" ones) generally don't report. The exception seems to be Jim Will, who happily reports on his positive ownership experience.

That said, there is no greater frustration in car ownership that what you have experienced. Any car manufacture (no matter who) has their "share" of crap/lemon/embarrasing products. You are right to "air" your problems and opinions. No one "deserves" your experiences and frustrations. Well, there are some, and we know who they are and wish your problems on them...

I have a very early build '00 2.7T 6-speed with 60K now. For me, it is the finest car I have ever owned, and the second-best total driving satisfation I have owned. First belongs to my long-departed Porsche 911S...sold to become a down-payment on a home lot, a deposit to our savings, and...our first Audi.

I have owned 5 Audis since 1973...currently have 2. I continue to care for them as though they were Porsches, which (then) needed close attention.

I sincerely wish you could enjoy my ownership experience as, like a good marriage, it is a total joy. I also have a great marriage...but I digress.

I would suggest bringing your Audi ownership "experience" to Audi's attention. Not sure what they can do, but I feel qualified to state that your experience is not "typical", nor is it acceptable. I feel you are due some kind of attention from Audi and some effort on their part to "do the right thing" by you.

How many of your problems were under the warranty? Did your dealer/Audi correct them? I know that being "inconvenienced" by repeated problems is never eased by eventually getting a fix, but did the dealer and manufacturer stand behind their product?

The very few problems I have had with all my Audis have never caused a problem for safe driving, and have been aggressively handled by my dealer. That said, I have always had a extended warranty on my cars. I had the '73 100Ls for 115K, the 4000S for 110K, and sold the A4Q at 40K to buy the '00 A6 2.7T and TTQC.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:16 PM

Default That depends on your expectation.

My last car was a '95 Nissan Maxima. In 8 years, I replaced alternator, battery, and brakes. Of which, I paid to have an alternator done.

I am not sure why the Audi's suck. Personally, my guess is bad mechanics. It seems to be combination of attitude and lack of talent. I called my Nissan dealer with a code, and s/he would tell me known issues, and what common repairs are.

I talk to Audi, and they tell me they are booked for a month, and they just reset the light, and I have to call in 2 days later. Íf you read the posts, you are right.

A new 'luxury' car should:
1. Have almost no problems
2. When they do, the dealer should take quick look at the car, schedule an appointment, give you an equivalent loaner, call when the car is ready. (In esssence, the buyer should spend the least amount of time/effort, and it should be pleasant.).

In case of Audi, it's like dealing with a sleazy dealer. You have to scream and shout to get a service. My Audi sales guy said, "Stop being so nice, just be mean or they won't do any work". And I thought the reason why I bought an Audi was so I didn't have to deal with this crap...

Soon as warranty is gone, I already have an Porsche shop lined up for all my future service(s).

Iggy

Quick Reply: Reliability or Lack of iI!