A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rockville Audi say I have "bent wheels"...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rockville Audi say I have "bent wheels"...

Hello -- I need some quick "second opinions" about a claim from Rockville Audi that I have two 'bent wheels'. I had them install four new Dunlop Sport Maxx tires last month during my 50K service (which exceeded my 4 yr. warrantee by about 4 days; something they told me AFTER they did the 'service' of course). Right after I picked up the car it was immediately apparent that the wheels were terribly unbalanced at 50 mph and up. The Steering wheel shook and at highway speeds I felt like I was sitting in a massage chair. I finally called them to say their balancing job needed to be redone, and just a little while ago I got a call saying that they can't balance my two front wheels because they were 'bent'. I told Rockville Audi quite emphatically that the car drove fine with my old tires and now miraculously I suddenly have two bent wheels. They said that the old tires probably worn themselves so that they counter balanced the bent wheels. I have a mechanical engineering degree so I suppose that is a plausible explanation, but knowing Rockville Audi's reputation for "exemplary" service I don't know what to believe at this point. They said they can send my wheels to some place called the "wheel doctor" (which I can't get to come up on the web) and get them fixed for $175 a piece. I told them (reluctantly) to go ahead and do that but I'm really feeling uneasy about all of this. These are the 17" sport wheels that I got with the car in 2002. If anybody has any input about this I would greatly appreciate it. In the mean time I'll be riding my bicycle to work for the next few days... Thanks.

mas6700
2002 2.7T Ming Blue/Vanilla 6 spd. with Sport package and everything `cept nav
Old 07-19-2006, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggest you have a Hunter Roadforce Balance done...

Below is a URL describing the system and (if you surf around the site) there is also a dealer locator that will help you find a Hunter-equipped garage near you.

This system has cured the woes of MANY people in your position.<ul><li><a href="http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm">Hunter Roadforce</a></li></ul>
Old 07-19-2006, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Suggest you have a Hunter Roadforce Balance done...

Thanks for the tip but it turns out that Rockville Audi is using this balancing system, at least according to the list of "nearby GSP9000 locations" in link. Maybe this should make me feel better that they're right about what they're saying, although I still feel very suspicious. Thanks though for your help!

mas6700
Old 07-19-2006, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd confirm with they that they did a Roadforce Balance...

If they did, yes -- you can be reassured that they are giving you the straight scoop. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I'd confirm with they that they did a Roadforce Balance...

Thanks again, I'll ask them about that. I when I broguht the car in I asked them if the did on the car wheel balanace and they told me no but that they did something else that was just as good. I don't remember what they said but I figured that if they also sell Porsche GT's then they should know something about high speed wheel balancing. One has to wonder though that if they were able to determine with this fancy wheel balancing system that my wheels are bent and can't be balanced, then why didn't they tell me that in the first place when they first put the new tires on almost a month ago? Hmmmm...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In my experience, you can help, but not completely make up for

bent wheels using either RFB or good old regular balancing (which, with a bent wheel, will show inconsistent results nad must be done again and again to get it close to right).

But the only real answer is fix the wheel.

And yes, tires will take a set to partially offset the bend, given enough time.

but why didnt they notice it immediately? Especially if they used the RFB, whcih indicates level of compensation required?

Hmmm?

Grant
Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just wear out the new tires until they "adapt" to the bent wheels. ;-)

Dumbass response that was! They should be able to show you on a spin-balance machine the bent-ness of the wheel. It may also be out-of-round tires.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Just wear out the new tires until they "adapt" to the bent wheels. ;-)

Well if they really have the Hunter Roadforc Balance machine that SouthbroAudiGuy is talking about then I guess I'll 'trust' that the wheels are really bent. I sure hope the tires aren't out of round becuz then I'll really be screwed. Whatta PITA...
Old 07-19-2006, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I find it hard to believe a dealership would offer to use a third party to repair wheels...

...before they suggest replacements.

I, too, have a BSME, years of auto repair under my belt, and basic firsthand experience with a Hunter...if your wheels were bent, you would have felt the vibrations after they were bent and prior to them <i>wearing themselves straight</i> (assuming you believe such a thing). Personally, I don't buy it. Ask them what the roadforce numbers (in lbs) were, or better yet...ask to sit there and watch the wheels be put on the machine and <b>road force balanced</b>. Hell, simply watching the wheel spin on the balanced woudl allow you to see these bends (it would be obvious, trust me). Good luck.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I guess I'm suspicious

... but having a HH9700 does nto mean:

1. They used it properly
2. They paid attention to the output (or they would have said they were bent the FIRST time)
3. They tell th truth

It just means they have an expensive piece of jewelry.

Grant

Quick Reply: Rockville Audi say I have "bent wheels"...