A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Sigh. Starting to question my recent purchase. :-(

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sigh. Starting to question my recent purchase. :-(

Reality is setting in. The honeymoon is over. I am starting to question whether I made the right decision to purchase an Audi.

I took the car in today for it's second service visit. The car has 2000 miles.

* Second visit to get window trim replaced correctly.

* Second visit to find squeak in suspension when going over road humps.

* Fluid/oil leaking on my garage floor.

* Rear window does not close properly.

* Sunroof groans when tilting.

* Service light came on at 1500 miles.

* Interior lights flashing on while driving.

* Air deflector in sunroof doesn't work at 30 - 40 mph. (I know, design defect.)

Most of these are minor problems in and of themselves. But, this is too many problems to have on a $50,000 car, especially one that is brand new.

On top of this, I found out what AoA calls a loaner car. Sheesh. At BMW, they had a late model car equivalent to mine waiting at the dealer for me, right outside the door. After I gave the service rep my car keys, I was handed keys to the loaner. All I had to do was provide insurance info. And I didn't have to pay for gas.

At Audi, I have to wait for an Enterprise driver to show up to herd many of us into an SUV for a drive to the Enterprise location nearby. Then I get a rental car. I have to listen to all the sales pitches on insurance, inspect the car for dings, etc., On top of this, I have to pay for gas.

I know that given the state of the world today, these problems are small. I am not saying that my Audi problems are major in that sense. But, I am saying that I am not getting from Audi after buying a $50,000 car what I used to get from BMW for buying a $32,000 car.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My opinion...

The problems (type and quantity) aren't really uncommon on the current model Audis. Lots of small things when the car is new can come up. In time, they should all get fixed and maybe the car will settle down and be problem free for many years. Although, your guess is as good as mine as to whether or not your car will in the long run be more problem free than it has been in the first 2,000 miles. Going into an Audi purchase, I knew that minor problems might come up, but long-term stability and reliability would be the benefit. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure the later model Audis are as reliable as the older ones I have. I'm pretty much on a "put gas in it and drive" run with my A6 in that I haven't had a problem for probably 15,000 miles... just regular service. And my car has about 79k on it now, and you'll find a bunch of people here who haven't had any problems with their car after 10, 15, 20,000 miles.

I'm tired of hearing excuses for Audi dealers' lack of loaner cars. If you buy a $50,000 4.2 from a dealer, you should get a late model 2.8 AT LEAST as a loaner, and not have to be hassled about insurance, gas, etc. Like I said, excuses don't make it ok. Audi is charging enough for their cars now to kick their dealers in shape and offer some better after-the-sale service and support. Wait, what am I thinking... Audi charged even MORE for their cars in the early-mid 90's, and the dealer service was perhaps worse back then!

You have legitimate complaints but short of gutting it out with your current car and then hoping your next one is better, or jumping makes, I don't see an easy solution. Just hope your dealer has a good service department.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A lot of your experience is going to depend on the dealer...

I've had minor things wrong with mine, but my dealer and service department are excellent. They have a big test comming up as far as I'm concerned: two bad rattles on the passenger side. I think one is the vent next to the door hadle. Anyone had this problem? The other is the famous pilar rattle. We'll see if they fess up to the design flaw.

-st
Old 10-11-2001, 05:31 AM

Default In my case the situation is reversed. I had lots of problems with the BMW 325Ci, and only once did

I get a loaner, whereas, be it with the A3, the ex-A6 2.8Q Avant or the S6 I never had a problem and always had a loaner (normally an A4, the last time was a 2002 A4) even when it is for non scheduled outside maintenance plan oil change....
As "singletrack" said It has to do mostly with the dealer.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

True. True. True.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:06 AM

Voice your conserns to owner of dealership!
Old 10-11-2001, 07:09 AM

Default For as few miles as you have, the number of problems you are having is very high...

I am not trying to be alarming, but 1) did the dealer go through the checklist when it was newly delivered, and have you seen evidence of this and 2) could the car have been in an accident or have been damaged before you bought it? Look at the date of manufacture on the drivers door and see how long it sat around.

I had some issues with my car when it was delivered, but they were due to the dealer not prepping the car. Other than that, at 11,000 miles, it has been great!
Old 10-11-2001, 08:16 AM

Default You deserve premium service and a replacement if not satisfied

Don't let it go unnoticed. You are absolutely right! $50K is a lot of money for a car and with that should come the level of quality and service it deserves.
I hate to say it but every model can have its lemons, even Lexus. Lexus however will replace the car after so many service visits without resolve. I would be very vocal that you feel you have a lemon and want it replaced.
Old 10-11-2001, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My experience with 2001 A6 4.2.

Almost 15,000 miles and nothing has gone wrong. No glitches, no oddities...and I drive very hard. I'm still waiting for replacement seat covers under warranty because both front seats have a dime-sized blue spot. With all the aggravation you've suffered, AoA should make good by replacing your car or refunding your money. Perhaps another dealer would fix the problems.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Required by law to "replace the car after so many service visits without resolve."

Called the Lemon Law.

What I do is write down every complaint for every visit. I format a pleasant, non-confrontational letter and list everything that I have noticed for them to please check out. I also write down things that I expect NOT to happen, like unjustified mileage appearing on odometer, or washing the car unless finest detailing tools and materials are used.

Quick Reply: Sigh. Starting to question my recent purchase. :-(