A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Slobbery dogs in your cars??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slobbery dogs in your cars??

Anyone got any good aftermarket ideas for keeping the damn dog slobber off of my nice leather seats? I have seen an OEM full rear seat cover for BMW 5 series cars and wondered if any of you have any experience with anything similar.

Thanks in advance
Mark

PS Tried putting her in the trunk. For some reason she didn't like that.
PPS Just kidding.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:30 AM

Default I have a gadget from BMW that's fab

It's actually an OEM piece that I have successfully used over the years in a BMW 325, an A4, my A6, and a Merc C Class. (Works best in the A6 if you remove center rear headrest first)

It's a big black piece of heavy vinyl, with headrest cutouts at both ends. Draping it over the headrests is what keeps it in place. You might drop by a friendly BMW parts dept. and see if they can find this for you, if it's still even made.

I've seen a similar fleece piece advertised in a coupla places. Griot's also has seat covers designed to prevent kiddie messes so they would probably work too.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Pickup truck works for me. I'd worry more about the dog nails than the slobber.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I use a nice "full sized" comforter. Keep slobber and finger nails of the leather.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dog crate?

Well, that problem is one of the main reasons why we're buying an allroad rather than a 2.7T... We carry our dog in a dog crate in the wagon back area.

Aside from the slobber (and variations on blankets as described can adequately handle that problem), the bigger issue is safety - how big is your dog, and what happens if (heaven forbid) you're in an accident? Dog goes flying, dog hurt, human occupants hit by flying dog are hurt. It happens all the time. Some people use a harness that has the seatbelt running through it to secure the dog...

When we've absolutely had to carry the dog in our non-wagon vehicle, we wedge the crate in the back seat and secure it with the seatbelt (Our dog is medium size, about 28 pounds).

Please forgive the lecture, just something to think about (if you haven't already).

Regards,
Gordon
Old 01-16-2002, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice visuals of flying harmful dogs!!! ;)

I do like the harness idea...it would be a very unpleasant and sad thing if you're in a serious accident and everyone (human) is ok...but then you gotta go and clean up the remains of the family pet...not good. I think the seatbelt harness is an excellent idea. Isn't the dog still pretty unsafe in a crate...you know, smashing into the walls of the crate? Seriously.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:47 PM

Default I'm not a dog lover

And if I looked at a car with dog remnants (my sneezing starts immediately), I wouldn't buy it used.

But, without trying to be mean, do you think it's safe to drive a car with a dog? Please tell me you don't worry about the dog, talk on a mobile phone and drink a cup of coffee at the same time.

Again, I'm an non-dog person who rides motorcycles, so I'm against any automobile driver who's distracted.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:01 PM

Default Even if you liked dogs, you couldn't afford them!

Whassamatter, run out of room in your garage? :-)
Old 01-16-2002, 02:12 PM

Default We've driven with a dog (actually, since it's a bullmastiff, maybe I should say "horse") in the 2.7

several times. We put her in a travel harness that attaches through the middle seat belt---so I, for one, DO think it's safe to travel with a dog in the car.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Yeh, Dogs in sport wagons.

I like to visualize the picture of the dog in the rear of the 540 wagon or S6 during hard cornering... dogs face pressed aginst side window.

Quick Reply: Slobbery dogs in your cars??