A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

smoke in the oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke in the oil

I have smoke coming out of the dip stick and out of the oil cap reservior. Both smell like gas. I think it is a blown head gasket since I am also getting smoke up the side of the engine block, though it smells like antifreeze burning. The interesting thing is there is no black smoke in the exhaust and my rpms are fine and it idles relatively well. The car cools fine and the oil temp is normal. Any thoughts out there?

I am in Boston, Any recommendations on reasonable mechanics in eastern mass?
Old 03-01-2004, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas in the oil usually means shot rings.

Head gaskets have nothing to do with gas. It's oil and water only. Sometimes an injector goes awol or stays open too long. A bad gasket there, might introduce some extra fuel into the combustion chamber.

Is the car running rich? Has it been cold? Have you been making short trips? In addition to condensation, you can a have a little cylinder leak-by during the warm-up cycle. Take it for a longer drive with some engine load (60mph or faster, or some other other prolonged larger throttle openings). It could be contaminates that need burning off. Oil does need to heat up to get rid of them.

Do a leak down test and have the oil analyzed. That should help pinpoint the problem and dictate what action to take next.

You could very well have a coolant leak/bad gasket. How is the level in the catch tank? Does it drop appreciably when driven? How about oil in the catch tank?
Old 03-01-2004, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Boston area mechanics

Shine Racing Service in Walpole (www.srsvw.com)
Brian's Garage in Needham (www.briansgarage.com)
Central Street Garage in Natick
Old 03-01-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Boston area mechanics

Thanks for the tips. I will check them tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:00 PM

Default How much smoke ?

A hot engine will give off oil vapors if you pull the oil cap or stick ..

http://www.autobahnperformance.com/contact.htm<ul><li><a href="http://www.autobahnperformance.com/contact.htm">http://www.autobahnperformance.com/contact.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 03-01-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Gas in the oil usually means shot rings.

Actually, that makes better sense. I drained the oil this past weekend and retreived only 3 3/4 quarts out of a 6 1/2 quart capacity. I haven't checked the timing, but watching the RPMs, I see a small down tick in the gauge. This may mean one piston isn't getting a full fire. Thanks for the input. This is very helpful.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:08 PM

Default Re: How much smoke ?

Reluctantly, I used a oil stabilizer additive (helps stop leaks) and it helped slow the smoke. Before the smoke was billowing up through the dip stick shaft at a pretty good rate. The smoke was a heavy gas smoke mixture.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the help Snappon, April/Verdegrrl &amp; AudiSean
Old 03-01-2004, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many miles? What engine? Why only 3.75 qts when you drained?

Did you use a pump? (no-no;-)

Pull the plugs? General rule of thumb for spark plugs is:

Grey/Light Brown = Good
Dark Brown (Sooty) = Too Rich or Ignition Problems
White or Melted = Too Lean
Wet &amp; Black = Oil in the combustion chamber<ul><li><a href="http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html">Pictures and descriptions</a></li></ul>
Old 03-02-2004, 03:59 AM

Default Dang, how could it be so low? Do you have some major leaks? Does...

the car smoke at all (bad valve seals and/or rings)? It's definately not the head. Your oil would be milky when you changed it (mixed oil and water). I can't see how raw fuel would get into the crank case unless your rings/cylinder are in severe shape.

Either way, being 2 3/4 qts low probably caused some premature wear. I assume that with the level that low, sufficient oil wasn't getting pumped to the heads.

Let us know what your mechanic says.

Quick Reply: smoke in the oil