A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Strange rumbling, "cupped" rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2001, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hot rotors?

Thanks, dpd. I have also had other cars with a similar design that did not have this problem during every day driving. I can see if hot rotors were the case, but this car is literally a cream puff. As I have stated below, the owner's manual indicates they want the parking brake used every time the car is parked. I have had turbo cars before an have driven them on race tracks. I know about cooling down the turbos and the brakes and how it is a good idea not to use your parking brakes after a run on the track. (The owner's manual does not provide warnings about cooling down either. I have had previous turbo cars that did include this warning). I also know how the rotors get rusty after a car wash and how they can get warped if they are hot and then get wet or go through a flood condition. I know you need to allow a break-in period for your brakes when new. This is not the case with this car nor my driving style. I expect the dealer will replace the rear rotors. I hope the pads have not lost some of their life due to this but since the car has such low miles they should be okay. After reading responses from those who have this problem repeat itself, I wonder if it will be fixed the first time. These rotors warped under conditions far less stressful than average everday use. I'll keep close watch on their replacements.