A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Test drove 2005 S4 Cabriolet today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove 2005 S4 Cabriolet today.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to replace my A6 4.2 with something a bit less practical and more fun. I've already checked out the C6 Corvette and have figured out that as far as brute acceleration goes, nothing else comes close. The problem is that after living with the exquisite appointments of the A6 interior for the past 5 years, the Corvette feels downright cheap inside. I know it's a sports car and not a European luxo-cruiser, but I've really come to appreciate the interior details of the A6; I prefer to not give them up, hence a close look at the S4 Cab.

The one I drove was Moro Blue with blue top and black interior (with silver piping). It was a Tip car equipped with Nav+ (late production car), Sirius, Bose, carbon fiber trim, and Cold Weather. As soon as I started the engine it let me know it was something special, as it sounded much like an RS 6. The 340 h.p. 4.2 V8 with 6-speed Tip proved to be a terrific powertrain as acceleration was brisk and the sounds were, in a word, "authoritative".

The car was very comfortable and surprisingly tight for a convertible. The S4 seats were great, probably better than my A6 sport seats. The Nav+ looked and worked great. I didn't know that it was available in the B6, but they told me that it was installed in a few late-productions S4s. It's great.

My only reservation has to do with the interior. Though it's way ahead of most of the pack, it still reminds me that it's a "4" and not a "6". The layout and details simply aren't up to what we're used to. For example, there aren't the pull-out door bins, only the front seats are heated, and the instrument panel isn't as nice. I know, these are minor quibbles of an otherwise great car. I guess the best way I can put it is that as compared with my current 4.2 the S4 Cab was quicker, sounded MUCH better, and had the huge advantages of the drop top, but it definitely lacked much of the luxury feel. I guess the thing I need to figure out now is how much that really matters.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:01 PM

Default well get used to the non swing out door panels.

The new A6 is the same way.

I'm not overly fond of the B6/B7 instrument cluster. Seems to be a nice driving car ( drive them as loaners ) but it just lacks something of the class of the B5 cars or the C5 cars have.

I don't think any of the A4's have heated rear seats. ( I know what kick the kids got when they got heated seats in the S6 ).

I'd love to have the Recaros!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default B6 S4 Cab doesn't have Recaros; B7 A4 & S4 sedan & Avant have heated F+R seats (optional).

I agree with you regarding the B6/B7 instrument cluster; nothing really wrong with it, but it just doesn't have the class, attention to detail (elegance?) of the C5. As far as I'm concerned, the C6 doesn't either.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default First, don't get the cab...well, you know why.

Get the sedan. The seats alone are worth it. Don't worry about the interior appointments or the sound system. Your focus will be on the roadside as it screams by, and the wonderful sound of that motor will have you driving with the stereo off most of the time.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your point is well-taken. I don't have a need to move into another sedan, though.

My current 4.2 does everything I could ask for from a sedan (and then some). My reason for looking at alternatives is to get into something even more fun; to me that translates to "open air motoring". Hence, convertibles and the Corvette pretty much make up my list of candidates.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Understand, but

having just gone from a 4.2 to an S4 sedan, I can tell you that the S4 offers a driving experience that the A6 does not. The power, handling, seats and exhaust note are intoxicating. I loved my 4.2, but I LOVE my S4. It's really a very different car.

So if you're thinking that the S4 sedan is just too close to the A6, you might rethink that before you jump into a cab. Not that there's anything wrong with a cab...
Old 03-21-2005, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The new A4 has updated interior; will the S4 get it?
Old 03-21-2005, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have an '05 S4 but I'm with you on the C5 interior....

I'm with you on the interior of the S4 as opposed to the C5. They are similar in layout, but different enough to realize that the C5 comes off more elegant. I bought my '05 S4 in October and I love the car. The C5 felt more luxury, while the S4 feels more sport with the smaller proportions and big engine. When I saw the C6 I knew I'd have to get a leftover C5 or the S4. I just don't care for that dash design, and the body of the C6 just isn't as taut and aggressive as the C5. I really like the design/layout of the C5 dash, the C6 looks more like an '80s vintage Oldsmobile to me. By the way, the Recaros in front and rear of the S4 sedan are awesome!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was toying w/ the idea of getting an '05 S4, too...

just not the cabriolet. It was because I'm getting restless, possibly even bored w/ my A6 now. The S4 is awesome, but the price of over $50K turned me off to considering it.

So, I've been advised to buy a cheap project car (like a Miata or a GTi) and fix that up. But in your situation, if you already have another vehicle that can seat 5 w/ a big trunk space, why not go "less practical" and go for it? As long as the OTD cost doesn't scare you, it's your $$$$ and we only live once.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Given that you are on the edge between the 4.2 and another car, consider cost of changing....

Once you run the numbers and see that you will eat tens of thousands in depreciation, that A6 starts to look like quite a steal. FWIW

Quick Reply: Test drove 2005 S4 Cabriolet today.