A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Transmission rebuild and synchro related questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gaskets! What'r they? The only solid gaskets that I've ever used are head gaskets. Si caulk every-..

thing else. Do check for and clean the magnetic separator magnet located somewhere in the case. Removes the microscopic steel break-in particles from the fluid, may have some larger stuff on it.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What i don't like about silicone is that squezes out might come off on the inside...

as far as the magnets, there are 2 in the rear section under the torsen, one in the oil screen assembly and one round one in the front differential. Mine looked ok with just like a black paste on them - very fine particles, nothing coarse, which i considered a very good thing. The gear surfaces also look very well.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As do I, 300K. And I never change fluid, it doesn't wear out.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It doesn't take much Si to fill the voids in a zero clearance interface. Never seen it come loose...

inside or outside. What harm could it cause if it did? What do you coat your hard gaskets with, same problem. More apt to leak if left dry.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yes, but if you have .001" clearance, or less, the oil film will stop the synchro.....

working at all, which is my observation.

I am not disagreeing with your point or fidnings, simply trying to investigate the mechanics involved further.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The silicone would not cause any real harm in a manual box. The only real risks....

are in auto boxes and engines AFAIK.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default On that note, now that i have everything apart, the 3rd gear synchro seems to...

be the only one that shows visible wear. All the other ones, including 2nd look fine and measure well according to bentley's procedure of seting the ring in the hub and measuring at least of 0.5 mm gap. Also, the face of the synchro towards the hub has enough room left (a few mm) so as of now, my synchros would have to wear out a lot to touch that.
On the other hand, the teeth on the sliding gear for 1-2 are a bit dull too. My dad (who is a machinist) told me to just resharpen the teeth and use it, he said it's not worth buying a new one for only that. Also, i noted the sliding gear for 3-4 is the same as the one for 5-6 so what i want to do is resharpen the 3-4 sliding gear and swap it with the 5-6 sliding gear which looks like new. That way, the resharpened sliding gear will be paired with two gears (5 and 6) with perfect dog teeth and the good one will be paired with 3 and 4 to make up for the wear on the dog-teeth on these. Also, i will resharpen those two.
I noticed that having the engagement teeth sharp plays a very important role in locking in the gear and that was why my third gear was grinding, after the synchro would mesh (which was a bit early due to the wear on it) when the gears would still be moving a bit and the dog teeth would not grip but actually jump over. After i'm done i'll make some drawings to probably explain this better.
The main point is if any of the teeth are dull, you're gonna have problems.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That wear pattern sounds rather strange, was the clutch not disengaging properly?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think it was more like an idiot shifting with no clutch, the clutch was not perfect but it was ok.

Now that i have seen the insides of this transmission, i would never even try to shift without the clutch, all the work is put on the synchros and then on the TINY dog teeth. It's very easy to damage this trans it you don't drive it right... a few missed gears and bye bye sliders.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Was there any noticeable play in the bearings that the hubs run on? This would cause........

some unusual wear on the dogs and splines inside the gears.

Don't forget to check the tips of the selector forks for wear, these could cause problems if there is too much movement.

It's funny, I work in IT but I find mechanical engineering more interesting and my father was an engineer. He designed machine tools for Land Rover - to make gear box components.

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild and synchro related questions