A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What kind of "usual" problems should one expect on a 2.8L between 75K-125K..other than

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of "usual" problems should one expect on a 2.8L between 75K-125K..other than

leaking engine seals, tranny seals or CV boots.

My older (99)A6 avant had engine seals go at 58K.
Is there another usual culprit on those cars(98-2000 2.8Q).
Also, between 75K-125K what major scheduled services are to be expected and at what milage, other than oil and tranny fliuds replacment.
Thank you for your time..
Old 03-28-2005, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, you just dont give up do you?
Old 03-28-2005, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Re: what major scheduled services are to be expected

Front of engine rebuild is due at 75k, AFAIAC.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/360657.phtml">Parts list and reference links.</a></li></ul>
Old 03-28-2005, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here is the factory recommended maintenance schedule for your 1999. Most think the timing belt and

related should be replaced far before the scheduled 105k.

The ribbed belt is scheduled at 75k and not knowing what that entails, it might make sense to do the t-belt, t-stat, water pump etc at that time.

My wife's A6 is at 62k, it has been basically problem free and I follow the factory schedule.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bentleypublishers.com/images//tech/audi/audi.1999.maintenance.sched.pdf">http://www.bentleypublishers.com/images//tech/audi/audi.1999.maintenance.sched.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 03-28-2005, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Reply for CarbonLord only..Not offence intended to ANY other audiworld member

OK, I can understand that replies of any kind, specially the one liners can be interpreted in more than one way since the answer doesnt come with a facial expression or voice tone..
But really, WTF is your problem..
I posted 3 posts about a week ago, close to 35 people replied, and for some reason you were the only one whose replies were Rude and sarcastic.
Every other member at the least sounded sincere, even when telling me not to buy the car in question at the time.
I do not know you, we have never met, but its like you have some hidden contempt for me.
I even apologized in an answer and attempt to shut you up, but you do not give up.
If there is something I have done or said to you to make you this way, I am Not sorry, because from dealing with you just in the past week, I am sure that you deserved it.
Please do me a favour and IGNORE all of my posts from now on, as I will do yours.
There are enough educated, sincere and kind hearted people on this board to answer all of our questions and concerns.
Please do not waste your precious time on us little people..You must have better things to do.
Have a good day SIR!!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Got it..Thank you..
Old 03-28-2005, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

tranny fluid
Old 03-28-2005, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Good call.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html">It's due, at 75k.</a></li></ul>
Old 03-28-2005, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Tranny fluid ...check
Old 03-28-2005, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I guess my little smiley faces at the end of my sarcastic remarks go unnoticed?

I think you are thick headed and too sensitive.

<font color="gray">OK, I can understand that replies of any kind, specially the one liners can be interpreted in more than one way since the answer doesnt come with a facial expression or voice tone..</font>

Thats what this means <b></b>

<font color="gray">But really, WTF is your problem..</font>

I wasnt aware I had a problem, I'm not the one buying a 98 2.8 off eBay from a dealer who lies about the history and CPO, but...

<font color="gray">I posted 3 posts about a week ago, close to 35 people replied, and for some reason you were the only one whose replies were Rude and sarcastic.</font>

Want me to pull up the thread again?

<font color="gray">Every other member at the least sounded sincere, even when telling me not to buy the car in question at the time.</font>

They did? Oh, I guess I'll be nicer with more smiley faces the next time I suggest you are making a poor decision.

<font color="gray">I do not know you, we have never met, but its like you have some hidden contempt for me.</font>

I cant tell you how to feel, but can tell you are not very good at interpreting my coments.

<font color="gray">I even apologized in an answer and attempt to shut you up, but you do not give up.</font>

I didnt realize you were apologising to me for the sake of shutting me up. I guess next time, I'll refrain from my usual tone and you can hope someone else with experience will tell you what you <b>want</b> to hear.

<font color="gray">If there is something I have done or said to you to make you this way, I am Not sorry, because from dealing with you just in the past week, I am sure that you deserved it.</font>

I deserve what, nonsense because I think someone who's owned as many cars as you have should know better? OK.

<font color="gray">Please do me a favour and IGNORE all of my posts from now on, as I will do yours.</font>

You can do whatever you want, but thats been the case from the beginning.

<font color="gray">There are enough educated, sincere and kind hearted people on this board to answer all of our questions and concerns.</font>

At least we agree on something.

<font color="gray">Please do not waste your precious time on us little people..You must have better things to do.</font>

"Little People"? I think you have a little issue, but buy that car and it will be a big issue.

<font color="gray">Have a good day SIR!!</font>

You do the same.

<font color="red"> Between your 3+ posts on this, like 50 people tell you to run away from the deal and you are back for a 3rd time asking a redundant question which has been answered for the last 7 years.

I mean, I owned the car you are so determined to get and I thought it was a mechanical nightmare, so again WTF do I know right.

...and you want that same car, same year and all, only with 25K more miles then the failed one I had and got rid of, yet you also have a ****ty story about the dealer and the cars history to back it up...

...and you expect me to NOT be sarcastic when you come asking everyone 3 times about it when they all said Noooooo?

I think you are foolish and if you cant deal with that on a public forum, I think you need to go ask on OT for a 4th time or something and really get a taste of rude and sarcastic comments.

Sorry you didnt realize my sarcasm the first few times (which is why I add smiley faces) but when I ask the same question over and over, and everyone responds in similar light. I kind of get the picture.

Who told you this was a good deal when you asked? Youve been here this long and you dont knw how to look up the service intervals and STFA for the 7 year old car and its troubled spots? I did not attempt to answer your questions the first 2 times you asked?

You do have a problem, but its not me...</font>

You want the same advice I told you the last two times? <b>Find a reputable dealer, get a real CPO warranty and find a car that is not as potentally troubled as the one thats had 4 owners in its history database.</b>

Thats called "a sign" <b>READ IT</b> or weep

<big><big><big><big><big><big></big></big></big></big></big></big>

Quick Reply: What kind of "usual" problems should one expect on a 2.8L between 75K-125K..other than