A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What is more important, finding best purchase price or best service?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2001, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is more important, finding best purchase price or best service?

I'm several hours away from the nearest dealer. A little further from the nearest Metro area with multiple dealers to choose from. Should I focus on the finding the best purchase price from any dealer? Or should I try and buy from the dealer with the best service reputation? I am assuming that they are mutually exclusive.
Old 01-26-2001, 08:22 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy for best price, then get your car serviced at the best service dealer.
Old 01-26-2001, 08:26 AM

Default Re: What is more important, finding best purchase price or best service?

I would do your homework to tind the best price and then approach the dealer that has the best service and get as close as you can on price with him. It is going to be important to have a good relationship with a dealer for service. My car has 18,000 miles and I think its the best car you can buy for the $$$$. But I have a great dealer for service who is only 1/4 mile away from my work!!!
Old 01-26-2001, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Re: What is more important, finding best purchase price or best service?

Although all Audi dealers are required to provide service to you, there is still the issue of proprietary customer service from the dealer you've made the purchase, as opposed to having little clout with another dealer's service department. Based on the georgraphic scenario you've presented, I'd go with the best service reputation---assuming that there's not a significant variance in pricing. This is something only you can determine.
Old 01-26-2001, 08:52 AM

Default Not necessarily mutually exclusive

Here's something to keep in mind. You'll deal with your salesdude only once (usually), with the service dept. for years.
Old 01-26-2001, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Go to the service dept. and ask the manager who they would buy the car from. Might help.
Old 01-26-2001, 09:41 AM

Default Great input. I've hread stories of repairs taking days or weeks. Considering

this will be my only car, I can't leave it for days, unless I get a rental.
What should I expect as far as advanced scheduling goes for scheduled service? Unscheduled service? Same day, days, weeks?
Do most shops provide rental replacements for extended service delays?
How do most folks keep on the good side of the Service Manager? Tips, cigars, bringing your attorney, or you friend "Rocko" along?
Old 01-26-2001, 09:46 AM

Default What a great idea, April I'm honored. Do you

think that they would be bold enough to admit it might be some place other than their dealer?
Old 01-26-2001, 09:52 AM

It might help that person get fired!
Old 01-26-2001, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Not likely to refer another dealer. Should be the best salesperson the dealer has.

If they are not very good, or you do not like them, you can move on to the next dealer.

The manager or service writers see the broken promises and mis-information of customers who have already purchased cars there. They know who is happy after the fact.

Just go directly to the service dept. and introduce yourself to a writer and ask if the manager is available. Get a few opinions if possible. People do so much research on the car, but nothing on who is going to represent what is typically be the 2cd largest purchase of their lives.

Another good sign is if a salesperson is in the service dept regarding questions/customers car.

Quick Reply: What is more important, finding best purchase price or best service?