A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2006 Audi A6 Avant - 3rd Brake Light Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Jeff. I had a look on AliExpress and see a few vendors offering complete lamp units with delivery to Sweden at only a little more than the price you mentioned, so I suppose the most sensible thing would be for me to get a replacement unit ordered rather than messing about. Nevertheless if you do find yours and have any insights I’d be interested to hear.

There’s some rust bubbling up under the paintwork in a couple of spots around the lamp, just visible in the pic I posted. I should do something about that too while the lamp unit is removed.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Sverige
Thanks Jeff. I had a look on AliExpress and see a few vendors offering complete lamp units with delivery to Sweden at only a little more than the price you mentioned, so I suppose the most sensible thing would be for me to get a replacement unit ordered rather than messing about. Nevertheless if you do find yours and have any insights I’d be interested to hear.

There’s some rust bubbling up under the paintwork in a couple of spots around the lamp, just visible in the pic I posted. I should do something about that too while the lamp unit is removed.
the light itseld is probably fine, its the actuall conenctor behind it that corrodes and looses contact. Mine was literally rotten, that we had to cut the connector off and put new one in, part that comes from the car and plugs into the connector from light. The part from the light had metal pins broken off inside the actuall connector.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Can
the light itseld is probably fine, its the actuall conenctor behind it that corrodes and looses contact. Mine was literally rotten, that we had to cut the connector off and put new one in, part that comes from the car and plugs into the connector from light. The part from the light had metal pins broken off inside the actuall connector.
Thanks for that suggestion, but would that cause just some LED segments not to light? I would have thought all the LEDs are wired in series within the lamp unit, so a bad connection to the whole module might cause all of the LEDs to go out, but not just some?
Old 05-09-2022, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Sverige
Thanks for that suggestion, but would that cause just some LED segments not to light? I would have thought all the LEDs are wired in series within the lamp unit, so a bad connection to the whole module might cause all of the LEDs to go out, but not just some?
take it out and check. Nobody can tell you what it is without seeing it. It might be bad connector, but it could be a bad led as well.

order a chinese replacement, or grab an original (not that expensive tbh)