A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2006 audi a6 c6 after market tail lights for cars with factory leds

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 audi a6 c6 after market tail lights for cars with factory leds

Hi. This is my first post. I actually made an account just for this. On my car my passenger side led tail light went out. I want to replace both taillights with some after market options but I can not find any!!! They are all for the car's without factory led tail lights. It's been so frustrating as I found this out after already ordering a pair and they wouldn't work properly since the stock led Tail lights have 7 plugs vs the non Led stock ones have 6. I have not been able to find any aftermarket tail light sbut I really don't want to buy the original ones. I know i cant be the only one looking for some. If anyone could help me out with any options to solve my issue I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone knows an after market tail light that fits the factory led tail light cars please don't hold back as I am driving without a right turn signal and really want to fix this asap.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiA64point2
Hi. This is my first post. I actually made an account just for this. On my car my passenger side led tail light went out. I want to replace both taillights with some after market options but I can not find any!!! They are all for the car's without factory led tail lights. It's been so frustrating as I found this out after already ordering a pair and they wouldn't work properly since the stock led Tail lights have 7 plugs vs the non Led stock ones have 6. I have not been able to find any aftermarket tail light sbut I really don't want to buy the original ones. I know i cant be the only one looking for some. If anyone could help me out with any options to solve my issue I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone knows an after market tail light that fits the factory led tail light cars please don't hold back as I am driving without a right turn signal and really want to fix this asap.
Hey man, I might be your best friend! I customize headlights for a living now and also own a a6 4.2. I bought a set of aftermarket tail lights and tweaked them to work with my A6. Now... in order to make this work for your car, you will need VAGCOM or VCDS to recode your car to non-led. It would be the only way to get them to work. There's also a lot of rewiring in the aftermarket tail light that would need to be done.

Where are you located?

Do you have a picture or link of the tail lights that you are interested in?

Do you own a vagcom scanner?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Nightlifephantom
Hey man, I might be your best friend! I customize headlights for a living now and also own a a6 4.2. I bought a set of aftermarket tail lights and tweaked them to work with my A6. Now... in order to make this work for your car, you will need VAGCOM or VCDS to recode your car to non-led. It would be the only way to get them to work. There's also a lot of rewiring in the aftermarket tail light that would need to be done.

Where are you located?

Do you have a picture or link of the tail lights that you are interested in?

Do you own a vagcom scanner?
Hi wow that's great haha. Don't have a vagom. Never used one before. I live in colorado. I would definitely need help to do something like that. I bought a new set before posting here but after plugging them in they wokred really wierd and I tried to get car toys to install it but they said it wasn't compatible with my car since my car takes 7 pins and the lights were 6. After realizing that, I returned my lights I bought and started looking for 7 pin lights to only come up empty handed as every single after market tail light for this car is 6 pins. I did ask car toys if it could just be rewired and they said no. They didn't know how to mess with it and sent me on my way so for my first time I have made a account here hoping to find some solition. Thanks for responding hopefully you can help.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I ordered both sets that are available for my 2006 A6 S-Line from Amazon, I attempted to rewire them and had everything working but the rear fog lights. I then found out that with the VCDS you could re-code them as not standard and I undid all the hand wiring and they work and look great.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Actual pic showing both styles.
http://imgur.com/a/vWrLn

Last edited by jlfirehawk; 08-02-2017 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Added actual pic.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also what I found when I was troubleshooting my Audi LED taillights was that not only was the ground pin corroded on the plug but the two posts that connect the LED lights into the white base where the bulbs are were slightly corroded but more so were not touching the connectors so I bent the base back and sanded the leads which worked for a bit but kept acting up so I replaced them with after market lights from Amazon. The ones that are labeled as Spyder tailights (which are fake btw) were wired so horribly that I sent them right back.

Edit: I also still have my original Audi LED taillight assemblies if you want them and want to pay shipping for a spare set to work on.

Last edited by jlfirehawk; 08-02-2017 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-02-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jlfirehawk
Also what I found when I was troubleshooting my Audi LED taillights was that not only was the ground pin corroded on the plug but the two posts that connect the LED lights into the white base where the bulbs are were slightly corroded but more so were not touching the connectors so I bent the base back and sanded the leads which worked for a bit but kept acting up so I replaced them with after market lights from Amazon. The ones that are labeled as Spyder tailights (which are fake btw) were wired so horribly that I sent them right back.

Edit: I also still have my original Audi LED taillight assemblies if you want them and want to pay shipping for a spare set to work on.
Hey man thanks for your reply. I'm very glad I joined the forms. I have no experience with coding cars. I think I am going to get the same lights that you have on your car. They look beautiful. Too bad the amazon link they are out of stock on there. Will find some on ebay. But my trouble is with the coding. It's the route I want to go, but I wouldn't have the slightest clue on how to do it. Is there a way that you or anyone would be able to show me how to do it? Also a link to the equipment that you need to code it? Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 08-02-2017, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA64point2
Hey man thanks for your reply. I'm very glad I joined the forms. I have no experience with coding cars. I think I am going to get the same lights that you have on your car. They look beautiful. Too bad the amazon link they are out of stock on there. Will find some on ebay. But my trouble is with the coding. It's the route I want to go, but I wouldn't have the slightest clue on how to do it. Is there a way that you or anyone would be able to show me how to do it? Also a link to the equipment that you need to code it? Thanks for all the help so far!
If you search Amazon there are other vendors selling the same lights. You might be able to check craigslist in your area I know around here there is someone who will come code any VAG car for $30 per session, that or you will need a VCDS cable from Ross-tech. Also his forums has an Audi forum for specifically coding. It is $200 for the cheapest cable but you will find your self changing all kinds of things and using it for troubleshooting in the future.
A6 4F full LED Tail Light retrofit
Old 08-03-2017, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 334 Likes on 283 Posts

Looks awesome! Makes me wanna swap my working original lights LOL

2006 audi a6 c6 after market tail lights for cars with factory leds-6f5cyzk.jpg
Old 08-03-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do you think this will do the trick for the coding?

https://shopdap.com/store/vw-audi-scan-tool-obdeleven.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwk4vMBRAgEiwA4ftLsyiP1 8jdJISi9GxZkdj5KNGqGH0g3jK4Vh1qH3A1I1Q4ejyaEJXFMBo C2ikQAvD_BwE

Would be neat to have something like this.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There have been posts that say the ODB Eleven does coding but since it does not work on IOS devices I stick to the full VCDS cable since I use it for brake jobs and general troubleshooting but maybe someone else can chime in.

Quick Reply: 2006 audi a6 c6 after market tail lights for cars with factory leds