A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2007 S8 or 2010 S6?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dokebi1221
Okay, so I found that 2007 S8 is not CPO and they can't make it CPO because it's 2007 model...BUT they can add power train warranty for $1800 for 2 years and 24,000 miles OR Platinum warranty which will cover everything for $3500 for 2 years and 24,000 miles...Hmmmm
The biggest problem is that they both are almost certainly going to need a carbon clean soon. That's probably a $2k endeavour.

Carbon clean has historically been covered under CPO if it triggers a CEL. My advice is to be prepared to deal with that, and it will be out of pocket on the S8.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 AM
hsp
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than the V10, the two cars are completely different. Therefore, taking price/year out of the equation, which car would you rather have? If S6, no brainer. If S8, perhaps you should wait for a newer CPO model.

Hey guys,

Like the title says, what would you do if the choices are between these two?

CPO 2007 S8
60k miles
$41k
B&O, CF trim, Navi, Backup cam, etc

VS

CPO 2010 S6
50k miles
$43k
Prestige NAV, CF trim, etc

I'm sure there will be a space to negotiate the price...What do you guys think? How much these should go for and what would you choose? Do you think they have too many miles on them and rather wait for that perfect moment? I know there is no right answer, but I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

My wife hates the idea of getting a car when we have a perfectly fine A6 that runs well and still in warranty, but D3 S8 and C6 S6 has been my dream car...She is saying, if YOU must get one, why not go for 2010 S6 instead of 2007 S8 because it's newer...I don't know what to do, but I know once i get one, I'll be set on cars until it breaks down or world runs out of oil.

Thanks for any opinions guys.

*I posted this on both S8 and S6 forum.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

So, I test drove the S6 for the first time. It's very clean and previous owner took good care of it seemed like. One question for S6 guys, I just wanted to know if this is normal or not. When I'm on just D mode, everything was smooth, but when in sports mode from the stop, even I gently pressed the gas pedal it like jumped(?) and also pretty hard shift to 2nd gear from the 1st...but yea, this is going to be really hard to decide...
Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, I test drove the S6 for the first time. It's very clean and previous owner took good care of it seemed like. One question for S6 guys, I just wanted to know if this is normal or not. When I'm on just D mode, everything was smooth, but when in sports mode from the stop, even I gently pressed the gas pedal it like jumped(?) and also pretty hard shift to 2nd gear from the 1st...but yea, this is going to be really hard to decide...
Yes as mine does it.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 AM
hsp
Audiworld Junior Member

Normal. Sports mode is really aggressive. You have to adjust your right foot to the sensitive throttle response. I usually drive in manual mode. Love the rev matching on downshift. Good luck on your decision.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
The biggest problem is that they both are almost certainly going to need a carbon clean soon. That's probably a $2k endeavour.

Carbon clean has historically been covered under CPO if it triggers a CEL. My advice is to be prepared to deal with that, and it will be out of pocket on the S8.
I didn't realize that the V10's were also FSI motors. I don't think it says FSI anywhere on the covers of the engine from pictures I've seen does it?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes mine does this also.

I rarely use the sport mode ... especially is there is someone else in the car.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said, it is the norm. I use sport when running other BMW and MB's. other then that I'm in drive mode and use the paddle shifters.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The V-10 is FSI.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

this is such a nice problem to have, as i too really like the S8, but it was well outside my range when i picked up my S6. prior to that, i did have a shot at an A8 in the low 30s with 40k miles, but the deal fell through.

something also to consider is maintenance and service costs if taken to a dealer. the cost will be higher with the S8 than the S6. (you're looking at a $200 - 500 difference depending on the work)

the D3 S8s, in my humble opinion, is The Best AUDI Flagship vehicle from a looks and performance standpoint. the D4 body style just doesn't do it for me. it screams - "Look at Me! I'm BIG!" again, my humble opinion. on the other hand, D3s are understated elegant beasts. supple interior that you drive in great comfort (air suspension) with a monster engine.

i'm not sure it was mentioned, but the S6 will be a firmer ride compared to an S8 due to aforementioned air suspension on the "Big Bro". seeing that the wife's input is considered in the purchase, make sure you test drive both cars with her in it. not many dudes would recommend that, but i'm just sparing you the "i told you so" looks and stares if somehow she's not as thrilled with the car a few days after purchase.

as a passenger, my wife hated the S6's firm ride. as a driver, it's like night and day -- she loves it! and she always pretends to have misplaced the keys to her lexus so she can take the S6.

good luck.