A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2009 A6 with uncommon TPMS problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 886 Likes on 725 Posts

It is highly unlikely that you have TPMS. The number of 2005s with TPMS is probably less than 5%. It was a stand alone option. The only reason my old 2005 had it was because I factory ordered my car and I checked off every single box on the factory order form. The other stand alone option in 2005 was the solar panel sunroof. If your car has the solar panel sunroof then you have a factory order car because that was the only way you could get the solar panel. If you don't have the solar panel sunroof then it isn't highly unlikely that you have TPMS. My suggestion is that you spend your time and your money correcting the maintenance issues with the car first.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinGary
It is highly unlikely that you have TPMS. The number of 2005s with TPMS is probably less than 5%. It was a stand alone option. The only reason my old 2005 had it was because I factory ordered my car and I checked off every single box on the factory order form. The other stand alone option in 2005 was the solar panel sunroof. If your car has the solar panel sunroof then you have a factory order car because that was the only way you could get the solar panel. If you don't have the solar panel sunroof then it isn't highly unlikely that you have TPMS. My suggestion is that you spend your time and your money correcting the maintenance issues with the car first.
Thanks Kevin. I'm going to draw the line of conclusion here and conclude that my 2005 s-line does not have TPMS. I'm looking into aftermarket TPMS which just screws on to each tires valve stem just like a valve stem cap would go on and it gives you real LIVE readings. They are also only $50-100 and requires no wiring or cutting, etc. All wireless, some of them plug into the cigarette lighter for power and some of them are solar powered (which is awesome) and you can mount it any where or just take it out from the glove compartment when you need it. It's far less complicated to just go aftermarket with TPMS if your vehicle does not have TPMS standard. You can also interchange them to any set of wheels/car whenever you want without taking off the tire.

As for the maintenance issues... the car drove 100% fine and is an awesome car especially with the mufflers cut off and replaced with flow master. It seems as if the fluids in the car is compatible either though it's not what's recommended. As far as a valve cover leak that's normal and I was expecting it to happen soon. So there's really no problem for me aside from one day last week the car was acting weird when it was really cold. So to be on the safe side, I'm changing all fluids to Audi recommended fluids and also doing the valve cover gasket.

Thanks for your help guys... I really appreciate it. If anyone has any questions about the aftermarket TPMS, feel free to contact me.