A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-25-2016, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

3.2L FSI, Can Seafoam clean carbon deposit on intake valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

For my spraying, I actually took the SC off to access the PCV valve, as I made a custom set up. You can either take off the black tube coming from the airbox to the throttle body, or you can disconnect the small hose connecting to the backside of intake tract (this is for clean air for the PCV system) and spray there. Our 3.0T do not have MAFs, and the pressure sensors are connected to the supercharger unit, after the intercoolers, so the only way to avoid them would be to take of the supercharger and spray directly into the intake runners. I have had seafoam and CRC GDI through my intake and over my MAPs without any damage thus far (knock on wood, as they say...) If you want to be very particular, you could remove the MAPs and spray into those holes, but you would mostly be saturating the middle pistons, as the solvent wouldn't have enough distance to spread out.

Kind regards,
-Larry
Old 01-13-2020, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Larry. I believe you are referring the one rubber vacuum line that I see on the intake rubber hose right before the throttle body. I will try that and see how well it works out. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

what does "sea foam" do? does that make sense with direct injection engines, like 3.2 FSI?

what are the benefits? Im up for oil change, and thinking should i tell mechanic to do it
Old 01-14-2020, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Can
what does "sea foam" do? does that make sense with direct injection engines, like 3.2 FSI?

what are the benefits? Im up for oil change, and thinking should i tell mechanic to do it
Here's is what I do to inject SeaFoam through the intake manifold. I disconnect the outlet hose from the EVAP N80 valve, which is at the top rear of the intake manifold. I then insert a hose barb of an appropriate size that has a small hose attached into the outlet hose. On the other end of the injection hose, I insert a needle air fitting (the type you use to inflate basketballs, etc.). With the engine idling, I pour some of the SeaFoam solution into a plastic cup, and then slowly suck the solution into the intake using the engine vacuum. This process takes about 5-10 minutes. Once all of the SeaFoam has been injected, I reconnect the EVAP line to the valve and rev up the engine to clear the exhaust. There will be a fair amount of smoke from the exhaust as all of the SeaFoam is burned through the engine/exhaust. I do this service a week or a few days before I change the oil/filter. I started this service right after I performed a cleaning of the intake, and been doing it for several years now. This setup flows the SeaFoam through the intake manifold surfaces, which should help reduce and possibly eliminate the carbon buildup.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Gary
Here's is what I do to inject SeaFoam through the intake manifold. I disconnect the outlet hose from the EVAP N80 valve, which is at the top rear of the intake manifold. I then insert a hose barb of an appropriate size that has a small hose attached into the outlet hose. On the other end of the injection hose, I insert a needle air fitting (the type you use to inflate basketballs, etc.). With the engine idling, I pour some of the SeaFoam solution into a plastic cup, and then slowly suck the solution into the intake using the engine vacuum. This process takes about 5-10 minutes. Once all of the SeaFoam has been injected, I reconnect the EVAP line to the valve and rev up the engine to clear the exhaust. There will be a fair amount of smoke from the exhaust as all of the SeaFoam is burned through the engine/exhaust. I do this service a week or a few days before I change the oil/filter. I started this service right after I performed a cleaning of the intake, and been doing it for several years now. This setup flows the SeaFoam through the intake manifold surfaces, which should help reduce and possibly eliminate the carbon buildup.
spoke with my mechanic today, well do it next week, ill drive it with seafoam inside, and then change oil.
curious what and if anything will change

anybody with positive experience on audi 3.2?