A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-13-2016, 10:59 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Brake pad and Mechanic question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad and Mechanic question

I know there has been a lot of discussion over brake pads so more than anything I'm looking for any updated info on your opinion after you have lived with your pad choice for awhile. I would especially like to hear from those in the USA from states that have harder winters, especially if you have a pad that you have used more than once recently and still recommend it. I am looking at the Akebono Euro Ceramic right now but am open if someone has something else that they really like.

Also, I am going to be moving to KC and was wondering if anyone here knew of a good independent Euro mechanic in KC that I could take my Six to if the need arises.

Thanks again all!

Anthony
Old 10-17-2013, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

well i had my Akebono Euro Ceramic for a while now..(i live in northern sweden where we have winter like 8 months or so...i whould buy the akebonos once more...great to have clean rims also
cheers!/H
Old 10-17-2013, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

+1 for the Akebono pads! However, I currently have OEM on my C6.

I used to run Akebono's on my C5 and have nothing but good things to say about them, plus as hrc4u pointed out the lack of brake dust on the wheels is a nice bonus.

As soon as it's time for new brakes I'll be going to FCP Euro and buying a set of Akebono's. BTW, you'll also most likely need new rotors...if so get yourself either Zimmerman or Brembo, assuming you don't go OEM.

Originally Posted by hrc4u
well i had my Akebono Euro Ceramic for a while now..(i live in northern sweden where we have winter like 8 months or so...i whould buy the akebonos once more...great to have clean rims also
cheers!/H
Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 here for the Akebono and Clean rims.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks all for the info, I think I will be going with the Akebono as they seem to get great reviews no matter what car you put them on.

So we don't have anyone in here from the Kansas City area that can recommend a good independent mechanic that will do good work on Audi's?

--

Anthony
Old 10-22-2013, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Try using the Mid West Forum section to ask them for a good indy mech in KC.

I know in the past European Motorsports in Merriam, KS was recommended. Guilded Audi master technician works there

Btw i assume you are doing the rotors as well?

Also check out yelp for local feedback.
Good luck

Last edited by raj99; 10-23-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Try using the Mid West Forum section to ask them for a good indy mech in KC.

I know in the past European Motorsports in Merriam, KS was recommended. Guilded Audi master technician works there

Btw i assume you are doing the rotors as well?

Also check out yelp for local feedback.
Good luck
Thanks Raj!

The rotors still look great, there is still about 1/4 of the pad left so I think I'm just going with pads this time around. Next time I will do the rotors and probably upgrade them, at least the fronts.

--

Anthony
Old 10-23-2013, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used to wear both pads and rotors (OEM) out by 25K miles. Switched to Akebonos and after 40K miles, I still have more than 50% pads and rotors. Just from economical point of view, I would recommend Akebonos. Plus you get no brake dust.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I wouldn't just trust visual inspection on the rotors. There is a minimum thickness specified by every auto manufacturers.
Whomever does the brake pad job for you will tell you if they can be reused. BTW, I don't believe the OE Audi rotors can be turned.

Good choice on the Akebono's.

Originally Posted by anthonyi
Thanks Raj!

The rotors still look great, there is still about 1/4 of the pad left so I think I'm just going with pads this time around. Next time I will do the rotors and probably upgrade them, at least the fronts.

--

Anthony
Old 10-27-2013, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
I wouldn't just trust visual inspection on the rotors. There is a minimum thickness specified by every auto manufacturers.
Whomever does the brake pad job for you will tell you if they can be reused. BTW, I don't believe the OE Audi rotors can be turned.

Good choice on the Akebono's.
When I had my front pads replaced they checked the back and said everything was good and the pads had about 1/2 left and the rotors were still good. Now, if I see a good deal on some brembo rotors before I need pads, I might just have them do both just so I don't have to worry about it for awhile. My front rotors will need replaced the next pad change and I think I am going to go with the Akebono's up front with vented brembo's.

--

Anthony