A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

Hi fellow Audi lovers,

I've recently changed my brake pads for both front and rear to EBC Redstuff. Here are some of my initial impressions.
1. Break-in period is virtually nil. The new pads worked wonderfully right off from the start.
2. Braking action seems to be smoother and firmer compared to OEM.
3. I've not tried to scientifically test braking distances to see if it has improved. So this is gut feel but from an incident yesterday when I had to brake in a hurry, it seemed that the new pads improved the braking distances somewhat.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the improvement and I'm now contemplating further enhancements to my brakes. While a big brake kit is a more common route, as I do not track my car and I am also very happy with the stock 17 inch wheels, I reckon that enhancing the brakes would be sufficient for my needs. Here, I would ask you all for some advice as I found differing opinions all over the web. Please feel to correct me if I have some misconceptions.

- Stainless steel brake lines. It seems that they help in improving pedal-to-caliper brake responsiveness. This seems like a pretty logical upgrade.

- Aftermarket rotor replacement. I am contemplating Brembo sport drilled rotors to replace the OEM rotors once they come to the point when they need to be replaced. Why drilled not slotted, you may ask. Where I live, there are at least 3 months of rainy season spread throughout the year. As such, drilled rotors may help drain water in the wet. Are there any other alternative brands I should consider?

Many thanks for reading this.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brakes

- Aftermarket rotor replacement. I am contemplating Brembo sport drilled rotors to replace the OEM rotors once they come to the point when they need to be replaced. Why drilled not slotted, you may ask. Where I live, there are at least 3 months of rainy season spread throughout the year. As such, drilled rotors may help drain water in the wet. Are there any other alternative brands I should consider?

you got a link to the brembos?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Did all that to My TT ----->

SS brake lines are an improvement. Brembo rotors ,(mine are slotted) Not sure but you need to replace rotors anyway so why not ?
I originally went to Hawk Performance Ceramic for street, but that was a mistake. They do not have a high enough friction component for me. I went back to OEM compound Pagids and they were great but I cooked them at Daytona while tracking the car. I have since installed Hawk HP+ and they are REALLY great but they ARE noisy. I'm doing a track day this weekend and after which I'll probably put the Hawk Performance Ceramics back in for street use, till the next track day. Hard to beat OEM compound for street use in my opinion. Audi apparently speced that pretty well.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Brakes

Sure, here you go. Click on the sports catalog (cars) link on the left hand column and find your car.<ul><li><a href="http://www.brembo.com/ENG/HighPerformance-Brakes/">http://www.brembo.com/ENG/HighPerformance-Brakes/</a</li></ul>
Old 03-29-2008, 04:25 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Drilled rotors = rice. Stay flat or slotted. Flat are fine, drilled does nothing for water.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nice choice, I love mine! As for drilled & slotted...slotted all the way

JMO

Read the brakes articles on stoptech<ul><li><a href="http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml">Clicky..</a></li></ul>
Old 03-30-2008, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Nice choice, I love mine! As for drilled & slotted...slotted all the way

That is a great link. Thanks for sharing it. It certainly clears up a lot of misconceptions I had. Seems like I might stay with flat but change to an aftermarket rotor (probably still sticking with Brembos).
Old 03-30-2008, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Drilled rotors = rice. Stay flat or slotted. Flat are fine, drilled does nothing for water.

It doesn't? Hmm. I must have been misled somewhere then. I was under the impression that the drilled holes actually provide an escape for water to flow off. I get heavy rainfall where I live and the spring rainy season has just started. Thanks for the advice.