A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Car auto locking itself

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 337 Likes on 285 Posts

I don't quite understand what you mean by, "The car auto-locks itself after 60 seconds if it was locked, then you unlocked it but no doors got opened".
I understand the confusion. What I am describing is for when the car is parked and you are on the outside. Not when you are in it, driving it or just exited it. It's to explain that the car auto-locking itself in the garage would be normal if you locked it, then unlocked it then you did not actually go to the car to open any door. 60 seconds later, the car should auto-lock itself because you obviously forgot that you unlocked it and if you were in public and you went away, anybody could get access to the car. So it's a good thing that the car locks itself after 60 seconds if it senses that no doors got opened.

But if you unlocked the car, then open any door, then went away without locking it, it should not lock itself. I believe this is what is happening to you and it is not normal.

The problem I am finding with our cars is that when you are driving it and have the "auto lock" on, the doors lock once you put the car in drive. This was not functioning properly for me until I replaced the door lock actuator. Now it works.
The auto-lock in my car is triggered when the car starts moving and reaches a certain low speed.

But the problem is when you stop and put the car in park but leave it running......the doors remain locked but allow you to open them and get out of the car without pressing the unlock button.
Correct for the front doors. The rear doors require a second pull of the handle. That is not a problem. It's normal.

Then the door closes behind you and re-locks itself (or simply remains locked). This should not be allowed.
This is in fact not normal. The car should be moving with somebody in the driver's seat to send the auto-lock trigger.

When the car goes in park the car should unlock the doors.
Not necessarily. Going to park does not mean you are about to exit the car. You could go to park in traffic and you don't want your doors to be unlocked on the outside.

With the engine running, when I go to park, all the doors are still locked on the outside. When I pull the driver's door handle from the inside, only the driver's door opens and stays unlocked on the outside. The other doors stay locked on the outside.

With the engine off after going to park and the key still inside all doors are still locked. When I pull the driver's door handle from the inside, things happen just like above.

With the engine off after going to park, as the key is removed, the steering wheel is locked and all doors get unlocked on the outside.

If you were still in drive (D or S) and you turn off the engine, the car won't allow you to remove the key unless you go to park.

But at any moment, with the engine running or not, whether you're in park or not, front passengers can unlock and open their doors by pulling the interior handle once and rear passengers can do so by pulling twice.

All the above applies when you did not activate the child safety feature.

Otherwise, when the door closes, you can be locked out with the keys inside. Make sense?
You should never get locked out of the car as the driver in any situation unless a passenger explicitly presses the lock button when you were outside. If this happens, it means some part in the loop is not doing its job as it should.

Last edited by kelisko; 05-25-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought -

On an older Audi A6 C5 that I previously owned I had a working door lock in every sense EXCEPT the switch that registered if a door was open or closed was not working.

Might be something to look at.

The way I discovered it was the interior lights would not come on when only that 1 door was opened.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
I don't quite understand what you mean by, "The car auto-locks itself after 60 seconds if it was locked, then you unlocked it but no doors got opened".
I understand the confusion. What I am describing is for when the car is parked and you are on the outside. Not when you are in it, driving it or just exited it. It's to explain that the car auto-locking itself in the garage would be normal if you locked it, then unlocked it then you did not actually go to the car to open any door. 60 seconds later, the car should auto-lock itself because you obviously forgot that you unlocked it and if you were in public and you went away, anybody could get access to the car. So it's a good thing that the car locks itself after 60 seconds if it senses that no doors got opened.

But if you unlocked the car, then open any door, then went away without locking it, it should not lock itself. I believe this is what is happening to you and it is not normal.

The problem I am finding with our cars is that when you are driving it and have the "auto lock" on, the doors lock once you put the car in drive. This was not functioning properly for me until I replaced the door lock actuator. Now it works.
The auto-lock in my car is triggered when the car starts moving and reaches a certain low speed.

But the problem is when you stop and put the car in park but leave it running......the doors remain locked but allow you to open them and get out of the car without pressing the unlock button.
Correct for the front doors. The rear doors require a second pull of the handle. That is not a problem. It's normal.

Then the door closes behind you and re-locks itself (or simply remains locked). This should not be allowed.
This is in fact not normal. The car should be moving with somebody in the driver's seat to send the auto-lock trigger.

When the car goes in park the car should unlock the doors.
Not necessarily. Going to park does not mean you are about to exit the car. You could go to park in traffic and you don't want your doors to be unlocked on the outside.

With the engine running, when I go to park, all the doors are still locked on the outside. When I pull the driver's door handle from the inside, only the driver's door opens and stays unlocked on the outside. The other doors stay locked on the outside.

With the engine off after going to park and the key still inside all doors are still locked. When I pull the driver's door handle from the inside, things happen just like above.

With the engine off after going to park, as the key is removed, the steering wheel is locked and all doors get unlocked on the outside.

If you were still in drive (D or S) and you turn off the engine, the car won't allow you to remove the key unless you go to park.

But at any moment, with the engine running or not, whether you're in park or not, front passengers can unlock and open their doors by pulling the interior handle once and rear passengers can do so by pulling twice.

All the above applies when you did not activate the child safety feature.

Otherwise, when the door closes, you can be locked out with the keys inside. Make sense?
You should never get locked out of the car as the driver in any situation unless a passenger explicitly presses the lock button when you were outside. If this happens, it means some part in the loop is not doing its job as it should.
What you are saying all makes sense. Either I didn't hook something up correctly when I installed it or it is an issue with it being a cheap chinese made part (like the first reverse buzzer I had). I sat in the passenger seat, with the car running and the door locked, and I pulled the door handle to get out. When I closed the door, it remained unlocked. The driver's door remains locked.