A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:50 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Center Console got wet and MMI problems now

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Center Console got wet and MMI problems now

So I left my sunroof open yesterday and it rained (not too much) but enough where my console got water on/in it and my MMI went crazy. The thing kept switching from Nav to CD to radio...but then started working properly and hour or two later after I took a blow dryer and ran it over the console. So this morning I go to check on it and it was stuck on CD and i couldn't use the buttons to switch tracks, to FM...etc. Blueooth worked, however. So, I just went to scan the car an now the MMI screen comes up, music plays for about 5 seconds then MMI shuts off.

The control head, radio, nav, sound system...all cannot be reached. I doubt this will be covered under warranty. Anyone had this problem and know what needs to be replaced?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r1racer
So I left my sunroof open yesterday and it rained (not too much) but enough where my console got water on/in it and my MMI went crazy. The thing kept switching from Nav to CD to radio...but then started working properly and hour or two later after I took a blow dryer and ran it over the console. So this morning I go to check on it and it was stuck on CD and i couldn't use the buttons to switch tracks, to FM...etc. Blueooth worked, however. So, I just went to scan the car an now the MMI screen comes up, music plays for about 5 seconds then MMI shuts off.

The control head, radio, nav, sound system...all cannot be reached. I doubt this will be covered under warranty. Anyone had this problem and know what needs to be replaced?
What if you clear the codes and then just pretend you know what happend. I spilled coffee on my MMI controls and it got sticky buttons. The controls can be replaced without the whole mmi system. pasts was like $700 and labor was $400.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by triplecore
What if you clear the codes and then just pretend you know what happend. I spilled coffee on my MMI controls and it got sticky buttons. The controls can be replaced without the whole mmi system. pasts was like $700 and labor was $400.
We'll see what they say. I made an appointment for Friday and am going to tell them that I started having problems and then it just cut off on its own. If they don't cover it I'll just buy the part (530.00) bucks and replace it myself.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like the same problem I had:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2780767

You're welcome to try cleaning out my buttons and swapping them in : )
Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by flynn337

I saw this yesterday, perfect timing. I found a used one in good condition for 200.00 in case they don't cover it. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flynn337

Really sounds like a challenge I'd take on if I had R1's or your issue *after I did the following.... if it worked.. fine, if not..so what.
Maybe wash the cover in a gentle cycle in the DW'er, dry (air/sun dry) then use this spray to clean all the switches and contacts..there are other good electrical cleaners CRC is another which also removes moister..I've seen cases of this stuff at Intel
http://www.kpg-industrial.com/produc...icating_spray/

http://www.crcindustries.com/files/P...on%20Chart.pdf

Last edited by mystrodo; 07-12-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: linkz
Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

We'll see what they say. I made an appointment for Friday and am going to tell them that I started having problems and then it just cut off on its own. If they don't cover it I'll just buy the part (530.00) bucks and replace it myself.

Audi dealer techs are starting to take a really close look at MMI control failure. Audi rejected lot of warranty claims and charged back dealer for replacing MMI control failure because of liquid spill. Audi calls for those parts to be returned for inspection. If they found liquid spill they will send them back to dealer and reject the warranty claim.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by oaktreelimb
Audi dealer techs are starting to take a really close look at MMI control failure. Audi rejected lot of warranty claims and charged back dealer for replacing MMI control failure because of liquid spill. Audi calls for those parts to be returned for inspection. If they found liquid spill they will send them back to dealer and reject the warranty claim.

I have a carmax warranty so hopefully they'll wont inspect.

I talked to a service guy and he told me that based on experience the warranty will cover my sub as well. It goes in on Friday...stay tuned.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Solution

I know this is an old thread, but since I came across it when I had the same problem this week, I thought I'd respond with my solution.

I decided to take the thing apart and inspect for damage. An excellent post from One Hot Avant (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...Center+Console) walked me through the disassembly process. The only thing I would add is that you have to press out the rear vent on the center console and remove the arm rest using a 14mm socket.

I took the MMI control module apart and found an integrated circuit board with button and optical switches on top and processors beneath. The board was covered by a rubber mat which served to transmit button pressure and protect the board (minimally) from fluid & dust. Really an inadequate design for something next to a cupholder and beneath a sunroof if you ask me.

At any rate, inspection beneath the rubber cover revealed a fairly clean board, but with evidence of light corrosion at the solder connections of some of the switches. The switches are small white plastic boxes with a cylindrical plastic button on top actuated by pressure delivered through the rubber mat. Solder connections were on one side of the switches separated by a few mm and a thin salt deposit (metal oxides) had built up between several of them. This would serve to short the switch and the MMI would malfunction and/or automatically shutoff to protect itself. I removed the oxide using a Q-tip soaked in alcohol (not the best cleaner for electronics) and used a hair dryer to dry quickly and remove debris.

Following reassembly, everything worked great!
The following users liked this post:
LivePassionately (01-11-2020)
Old 07-02-2011, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good stuff.

Quick Reply: Center Console got wet and MMI problems now