A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Doors constantly locking

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Doors constantly locking

Hello everyone. Yet another weird issue.

I kept hearing a faint click every time I would pull off from a stop. At first I thought it was something coming from outside the car, maybe a rear tire brake pad or caliper. Well today I figured it out.

The car is locking the doors every time I slow down to maybe 5 mph and then accelerate and when I come to a complete stop and pull off. It does it EVERY TIME.

Of course the doors lock when I first get in the car and put the car in drive (after getting up to 5 or 10mph). But what it is doing is continuing to cycle the door locks every time I go to under 5 mph or so and when I stop and pull off again.

To replicate the sound it makes..................lock your doors and then press the lock button again. That's what it sounds like when it constantly does it. You may say I am being picky because it is a faint sound and isn't noticeable with the radio at a moderate volume.

But I'm now fixated on it and it is driving me nuts.

Disclaimer..............my drivers door lock actuator is broken and I have to lock the driver door using the key and thus this is the only way to arm the car alarm. This is on my long "to do" list. I have read in the forum that replacing the driver door lock actuator is an absolute BEAST! The passenger side I heard is easy but not the driver's side.

Maybe this weird issue is related to the broken driver door actuator.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
ponyiaron (01-22-2023)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

It is very likely that this is related to the broken door mechanism. The only thing I could suggest is to turn to auto locking function off. You can do it in the MMI. I am currently away from home and my car so I can't tell you exactly how to get there. It should be under CAR/SETUP/SETTINGS. It's easy to find though.
ponyiaron (01-22-2023)
Old 03-09-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
It is very likely that this is related to the broken door mechanism. The only thing I could suggest is to turn to auto locking function off. You can do it in the MMI. I am currently away from home and my car so I can't tell you exactly how to get there. It should be under CAR/SETUP/SETTINGS. It's easy to find though.
That is a GREAT suggestion and will be a temporary "fix" if nothing else. And yes, it is in there (MMI) because I have seen it. Will be doing that in a bit. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Kelisko, I turned it off in the MMI. Ahhhhhhhh, silence!!! When I decide to fix the driver door lock I will turn it back on and see if it is resolved. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just wanted to report back that this issue was caused by the broken driver's door lock actuator. Once that was replaced, this issue went away and the car only auto locks the door when it is supposed to.
ponyiaron (01-22-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Figured it out: “Activate taillight with DRL”

Hi! I was going through this issue but I think I figured out what caused it. It started after I did a bit of coding via the OBD2 port. I went through the change history and tried resetting my changes, one by one.

Turns out “Activate taillight with DRL” was the culprit — I deactivated the change and it stopped the annoying repeating auto lock (while keeping the initial one just fine).

This may or may not work for your car — but it’s possible that some of the coding configurations could cause some sort of short, leading to a malfunction in the locking mechanism.