A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

A few questions from an "almost" owner.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions from an "almost" owner.....

The voice control on the premium package (which we ordered) - how does this work and what does it actually control? (Nav and Stereo?).

What is the "best" bluetooth phone to buy to use with this car (Blakberry? Treo? other?)? Also, Audi has a "cradle" available for some models and not others - what is the purpose of this if you don't have to actually hold the phone anyway?!

How does the smart key system work? How do you lock the car when you leave it?

Also, Is there anywhere to see an owner's manual for a 2006 a6 that anyone might have a link to?

Thanks again!!
Old 03-19-2006, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Re: A few questions from an "almost" owner.....

You can order a copy of both the Owners and MMI operating manuals online via:
http://www.audi.ddsltd.com. I take it from one of your other posts that you're located in Canada, so here are the specific item numbers for your car---

2006 AUDI A6 OWNERS MANUAL CANADA ENG WSA2615614F222
2006 AUDI A6 MMI OM US/CANADA ENGLISH WSA26156274221

Although they could be better, they will give you a good idea of how everything operates, including voice commands for radio/nav/phone and how the smart key works. The cost for each of the manuals is about $10 U.S.

While the phone cradle doesn't support the "sexier" phones, it does a good job in integrating the phone with the car; also charges the phone while in use, and operates phone through the car's antenna which does boost the signal over the phone's own internal antenna. I use the Sony-Ericsson T637 (no longer available---although I believe the T630 is) and it works perfectly in my A8.

Waiting for your new A6 will be hell, but well worth it in the end. Good luck!!!
Old 03-19-2006, 12:13 PM

Thanks.

Where on the dash does the phone cradle go?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Phone cradle goes into the center armrest.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You're going to have fun with the Advanced Key!

I can answer that question:

With the key fob in your pocket, you simply touch the door and the car unlocks. Note: if someone else is touching a handle at the same time it doesn't work - only one person touching the handle at a time. (Same goes for the trunk).

To lock, (also with key fob in pocket) you push up on any one of the small black rubber buttons under all of the door handles.

You can, of course, use the buttons on the key fob to do the same.

Here's the fun part: (especially with kids) some people don't realize that the fob is required to open the door - thus you can claim "magic" or retinal scan or whatever and they buy into it. By positioning yourself either near or away from the vehicle it will either work or not depending on where you are. You can have them believing anything. Have fun!

Oh, and there are two fobs. Each relates to the set buttons on the door. Preset each fob to either #1 or #2 preset and the car will adjust to that fob (driver) when they get in the car.

Starting and stopping is simple. Push to start, push to stop. If the start button won't (start) then push and hold the the stop button for 15 seconds just before you press start - then it should work okay again.

Voice can switch NAV, Stereo, etc but you need to preprogram stuff for it to get where you need - it's not like the Acura commercials.

Good Luck!

John
Old 03-19-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Phone cradle, Wait

your phone will converse with the car quite niceley through bluetooth without a cradle, you will need a cigarette charger due to bluetooth's use of battery power. I will not be buying a cradle because I figure to drop the razor before I drop the A6.

With Voice you can tell your CD changer to play CD 4 track 7, and it will.........if you are single, it won't last long.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

The Voice control will allow you to switch the MMI from Radio to Navigation to Phone to CD modes via voice commands. In radio mode, you can change radio stations, and switch bands. In navigation mode, you can start or terminate navigation. With an compatible phone, you can command dialing of numbers in your address book, you can speak phone numbers to it to dial. It will also allow you to navigate tracks and disks on the CD changer. I'm sure there are other functions that I'm leaving out... see the manual. IMHO, the voice option is worthwhile... it can streamline using the MMI when you are busy driving.

I use a Motorola Razr from Cingular, and it works great via bluetooth. Many people have had trouble using bluetooth phones from Verizon. I don't use a cradle... I just keep the phone in my pocket, and let bluetooth do the rest.

I don't have the Smart Key system, and based on the number of complaints I've seen about it on this board, I'm glad I don't.

Best of luck with your purchase.

--Phil
Old 03-20-2006, 07:59 AM

Default What ever phone you get..DO NOT GET THE BLACKBERRY..

nothing to do with what is going on, but the Blakcberrys will not sync properly.
The Treo has been fixed and works very well.
Any Moto or SonyEriccson should work fine!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:33 AM

Which Treo works? the 650 or the new windows-based 700?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:59 AM

Default 650; with the early ones, all you have to do is go on the Palm website and download the patch.

On the newer ones (still 650)the patch is already installed.
Not sure about the 700.

Quick Reply: A few questions from an "almost" owner.....