A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

How do you turn on the A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How do you turn on the A/C?

I'm asking because while the Audi has a thermostat, need for AC is actually somewhat independent of the thermostat settings. The primary use of AC when it is not used for cooling is to dehumidify air, but this only happens under certain conditions described here: https://www.quora.com/What-happens-i...ason-Taylor-16 For maximal dehumidification one needs recirculation, heat on max, and AC on. I doubt this combination is really possible though on this car.

Is there a way to turn on the AC even if the thermostat temperature is higher than the cabin air temperature? Or is this another example of German engineering arrogance/supremacism (fake coolant temperature gauge being a recent example here)? There's a defrost button but it does it turn on AC? It seems to do a horrible job and requires "fresh" (=dirty since the engine bay is polluted air in the first place) air.

Last edited by jasontaylor7; 08-22-2022 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 333 Likes on 282 Posts

As far as I know, from experience with my C6 A6, as long as the ECON mode is not activated, the A/C compressor stays ON whether you decreased the temperature to LOW or increased it to HIGH.
The following 3 users liked this post by kelisko:
das60 (08-23-2022), jasontaylor7 (08-22-2022), jonzie77 (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's amazing if true! It's not a bad design if true, but then the button should be labeled "AC" not "ECON".
The following users liked this post:
das60 (08-23-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

you can simply try it, as there is a noticable cahnge in engine bay sound level when AC compressor goes off.

I must admit you keep having some funny and interesting statements and questions latelly.

The following 3 users liked this post by G-Can:
kelisko (08-22-2022), sswari (08-22-2022), uberwgn (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by G-Can
you can simply try it, as there is a noticable cahnge in engine bay sound level when AC compressor goes off.
Perhaps but probably not. In most cars, for the AC compressor to be on several conditions must be met. Some have to do with the position of the accelerator pedal, the AC line pressure, the outside temperature, the cabin temperature, the temperature of the evaporator (needs not to be below freezing), the relative temperature setting, ECON setting, and whatever else the Audi gods decided. Unless you work at a dealer it's hard to know all the conditions.

I must admit you keep having some funny and interesting statements and questions latelly.
Thanks. Take your friends and label them on a scale of creativity from 1-10. I'm perhaps a 15 or so. It's not all roses though---I have some powerful enemies.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts
Default 2006 Avant

The ECON button in our car does the following:
  • It switches the A/C compressor ON/OFF. If the ECON light doesn't go off when pressed, it's an indicator there's a problem with the A/C system.
  • If you hold the ECON button down, it completely shuts down the climate control system and the word OFF is displayed.
  • For cold weather dwellers, when the engine is switched off and up to temperature, the climate control system will blow heated air if you press the ECON button. Probably runs for 15 mins. This is the same as the REST function on MBz.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jasontaylor7
Perhaps but probably not. In most cars, for the AC compressor to be on several conditions must be met. Some have to do with the position of the accelerator pedal, the AC line pressure, the outside temperature, the cabin temperature, the temperature of the evaporator (needs not to be below freezing), the relative temperature setting, ECON setting, and whatever else the Audi gods decided. Unless you work at a dealer it's hard to know all the conditions.

Thanks. Take your friends and label them on a scale of creativity from 1-10. I'm perhaps a 15 or so. It's not all roses though---I have some powerful enemies.
I wonder where do you come up with these questions and why it interests you?

I am telling you that when you press and hold Econ, you WILL NOTICE AC compressor going off.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Another, more noticeable occurrence, is that the radiator fan that is on whenever the AC is on will shut off with the ECON button "on". The reason it doesn't behave as you describe "other" cars behaving is the variable displacement compressor doing it's thing. For example most cars will shut off the compressor if you floor the accelerator because it assumes you want all the power you can get but on the A6 it will fall into a low-displacement condition whereby it doesn't consume much power. It is possible that if floored it does shut off and anything short of full throttle the displacement is reduced.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonzie77:
jasontaylor7 (08-22-2022), uberwgn (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wonder where do you come up with these questions and why it interests you?
I cannot drive safely and feel comfortable at the same time is why. Last night it was, for example, hot and raining. AC was initially on due to heat, but even though most of the air was directed to me (I think?) some apparently goes to the windshield at all times. This causes it to get cold there, and condensation occurs on the outside of it. Once the rain ends you have to keep the wipers on even though you shouldn't. You can turn on the top button, front defrost, but then you get horrible situations inside. For one thing it de-activates recirc which is dumb if you are driving in traffic alongside diesels, have an older car that sometimes leaks a little oil onto the manifold, have a fuel leak, etc. I don't really know what's going on, and want to avoid the situation and learn what others know. I think perhaps only way to eliminate that is to increase the heat, but then the AC turns off (only if Kelly is wrong though as econ was off) and given the rain and doing groceries in the rain allowing water inside of the cabin I wanted to dehumidify the insides as well because you can get condensation on the inside of the window too. Water vapor inside is a sure fire way make the interior age quicker. The car doesn't have an AC switch since Audi engineering supremacists think they know when to have AC on and off and that stupid me is too dumb to decide for myself, so it's a nontrivial optimization. Hope that helps. Please share any tips or knowledge. If we collaborate knowledge we should get to the bottom of the q.

Last edited by jasontaylor7; 08-22-2022 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

man, you should visit a doctor for anxiety.

Ive been driving different A6s for last 8 years, and never had those issues or problems, quite contrary, car handles everything perfectly. Also, car has air quality sensors, and will automatically switch to inside circualtion.
Hence I never smelled diesel fumes, or stuff like that inside my car, which I regualry would on other cars before this.
Also, keep your cabin filter replaced every 3 months.
also, cabin air is not pulled in from under the hood, it is bellow the windshield, which is physically divided from engine bay, by weather stripping.

you again are overthinking things

Quick Reply: How do you turn on the A/C?