A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

How to remove dead pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How to remove bluetooth module

I just bought a used A6 and the bluetooth module is non responsive through VAGCOM/VCDS. The previous owner said it was causing noise in the audi system. He had the local audi dealer "fix" the problem. My guess is they bypassed the Bluetooth module. the noise problem seems to be a common indicator of the bluetooth module failing.
I did a lot of searching I saw a writeup of the procedure but I can't figure out how to actually get the dead pedal out to remove the trim. The hood latch comes off by pulling out the little clip. The dead pedal has a torx screw that comes out. From there, I pulled on the dead pedal and tried up, out sideways. I didn't want to pull too hard and break it.
Does anyone know which direction to pull to get it out?

Or do I not need to remove the dead pedal to get the trim off to get under the carpet?
Attached Thumbnails How to remove dead pedal-img_3404.jpg   How to remove dead pedal-img_3405.jpg   How to remove dead pedal-img_3406.jpg  

Last edited by dzywicki; 03-01-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dzywicki
I just bought a used A6 and the bluetooth module is non responsive through VAGCOM/VCDS. The previous owner said it was causing noise in the audi system. He had the local audi dealer "fix" the problem. My guess is they bypassed the Bluetooth module. the noise problem seems to be a common indicator of the bluetooth module failing.
I did a lot of searching I know the procedure but I can't figure out how to actually get the dead pedal out. The hood latch comes off by pulling out the little clip. The dead pedal has a torx screw that comes out. From there, I pulled on the dead pedal and tried up, out sideways. I didn't want to pull too hard and break it.
Does anyone know which direction to pull to get it out?
The BT module is located under the driver seat... Why are you attempting to remove the dead pedal?
Old 03-01-2017, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
The BT module is located under the driver seat... Why are you attempting to remove the dead pedal?
The guides I came across said to remove the hood latch, dead pedal and then pull the door trim. From there, remove the seat bolts and lean the seat back. Then pull the carpet back.
Can you get to the module without those steps?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

The guides I came across said to remove the hood latch, dead pedal and then pull the door trim. From there, remove the seat bolts and lean the seat back. Then pull the carpet back.
Can you get to the module without those steps?
Here's how you get to and remove the BT module:

1 Remove the trim cover on the side of the seat that is over the seat belt.
2 Disconnect the seat belt from the seat.
3 Move the passenger seat all the way up and back.
4 Remove the front seat frame end protectors.
5 Using a 10mm multi spline socket remove the front seat frame bolts from both sides.
6 Move the seat all the way forward.
7 Using a 10mm multi spline socket remove the rear seat frame bolts from both sides.
8 Move the seat to a central position (this makes it easier to remove the seat form the car in a later step.
9 Disconnect the earth strap from the battery and ensure it can not accidently recreate a path to ground.
10 Tip the seat backwards on its frame and remove the cover from beneath the seat that protects all of the seat electrical connectors, remove said connectors and the cable strain relief clip.
11 Place some carpet/foam or similar close to the car, lift the seat out of the car and place on the foam the seat, being mindful not to rest the frame on the wires.
12 Remove the B-Post trim panels. First the upper one by pulling at its lowest point. Then the lower one by pulling at its highest point, once detached at the top pull the trim panel vertically upwards.
13 Remove the front sill trim panel by lifting gently from the rear working forward.
14 Unhook the carpet and gain access to the black plastic box that the BT module is in.
15 Using a flat bladed screwdriver release the catches on one side of the equipment box so that you can remove the lid.
16 Carefully remove the fiber optic cable from the unit. DO NOT BEND THE FO CABLE! they damage easy if you take the bend radius too small.
17 Release the white lever on the electrical multi-plug and remove from BT unit.
18 Take BT module with BT antenna attached out of the car.
19 Transfer the BT antenna to the new BT unit.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you!
Guess I was wrong about needing to remove the dead pedal.
Will give it try this weekend.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!
Guess I was wrong about needing to remove the dead pedal.
Will give it try this weekend.
I did this a few weeks ago, and in order to get the carpet to come up enough, I had to remove the dead pedal. I couldn't figure out how to properly remove it either, so I had to force it and I was lucky to not break anything. The bluetooth module is located at the red circle in the picture, much further forward than I had expected. Hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by adrianreece
I did this a few weeks ago, and in order to get the carpet to come up enough, I had to remove the dead pedal. I couldn't figure out how to properly remove it either, so I had to force it and I was lucky to not break anything. The bluetooth module is located at the red circle in the picture, much further forward than I had expected. Hope this helps.

After you got the dead pedal off, did you see how to get it off easily? I have not seen any pictures of the backside so not real sure which way to pull, pry, etc. I do have trim removal tools that I can slide in and pull clips etc.

That location circle will definitely help. thanks for that.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you got the dead pedal off, did you see how to get it off easily? I have not seen any pictures of the backside so not real sure which way to pull, pry, etc. I do have trim removal tools that I can slide in and pull clips etc.

That location circle will definitely help. thanks for that.
The pedal must slide up to be removed. One way or another, there is a clip at the top of the pedal that is connected to the footwell trim above it. Either pry them apart somehow without breaking them (which is what I did) or go the safer route and remove the trim above it so you can slide the pedal up and then out.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I didn't get to this project over the weekend, but I did look on ebay to see a picture of the backside of the dead pedal. Looks like it needs to up and then can unclip from the lower door trim. Hopefully I'll get to tit this week.
I did take a looka t getting the knee bolster (lower dash panel) out. I took out 2 screws from underneath and 1 under the fuse panel on the drivers side. There are a few clips that hold it up to the middle dash. I was able to get it to move enough to get that clip from the top of the dead pedal off.
So looks like next step is to get the door trim and then sill trim, peel back the carpet and get the BT module out.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Had some free time so I tackled this problem this evening. Trim came off easily but still took some effort to get that dead pedal off. There is a little foot at the bottom that has to be levered out. I didn't even need to remove the seat (I have a lot of tools but I don't have whatever that spline not is holding the seats in). Got under the carpet and the box felt a little light. Got it open and see that the bluetooth module was removed and bypassed. Great. There are plenty on eBay so I'll go that route.
Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Quick Reply: How to remove dead pedal