A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Now I smell gas after removing intake, risers, HPFP, pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I smell gas after removing intake, risers, HPFP, pressure sensors

So as a previous post I went through replacing the HPFP, HP fuel sensor, LP fuel sensor, and pulled the intake risers and did the carbon cleaning.

The injector washers were in the intake riser so I pulled them out and reused them as they looked great.

So, after I put it all together, I seem to smell gas. At first I thought it was from all the spiling on cleaning the carbon. I can't see any leaking at all so all i can think of is if it is actually leaking under the intake.
Wouldn't it be so hot under there that if it was leaking it would start on fire? Could a washer from the injectors be leaking a little, would I throw a code?

Any thoughts? can an issue with one of those gaskets cause the smell without throwing a code?

Last edited by dmaclaren; 09-06-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So after taking for a drive, I can smell some gas vapor now at the rear of the intake where before it was more on the sides.

Any thoughts? I was thinking it still could be a injector gasket that may have a nick in it. I am thinking this because if it was a drip from a line, I would see it ignited, right?

If there was any issue with the intake risers or intake gaskets, I would have an engine code, no?

I didn't use new gaskets for the intake or intake manifolds as they looked in great shape.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So, thinking since I used all original parts and I can only smell gas behind the unit.

Lower intake riser gaskets
Fuel injector 0-rings
intake gaskets
some part of the intake(pulled the unit off but never apart. All seemed to go back in just fine.

So, could one of the orig gaskets be pinched and cause gas smell escape?
Could I have put back in a part wrong? the biggest was the breather which has an o-ring on it but that snapped in fine and the screw hole lined up great.

I can smell the strongest right behind the unit and in the middle.

I included a picture where I smell the most concentration