A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Replacing drivers side door lock actuator

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid

Awesome. I will Be doing this in the next few weeks to month. Any other points, tips or advice?
youtube:
Old 04-25-2018, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by beep-beep
Cool. Thanks. That is the passenger door in the video. I need to do the drivers side door. I’m sure some of the stuff in this video will still be helpful though. I was Told that the drivers door is much harder though. I can’t find a video if this been done on the drivers door for the life of me.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok cheap ($45) actuator from Amazon fit and works fine.

I will say that whoever designed the door.. .can eat a big bag of D's.

Why does the actuator have to be just a smidge to big to slide out!?!?!?! I mean why should you have to take the whole fraking door apart to remove and replace an active component that will fail eventually....stupid germans!

Yes yes.. saw a vid where the guy just loosened with the window slide to get it out.. here to say that dont work on my avant.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by al329
Ok cheap ($45) actuator from Amazon fit and works fine.

I will say that whoever designed the door.. .can eat a big bag of D's.

Why does the actuator have to be just a smidge to big to slide out!?!?!?! I mean why should you have to take the whole fraking door apart to remove and replace an active component that will fail eventually....stupid germans!

Yes yes.. saw a vid where the guy just loosened with the window slide to get it out.. here to say that dont work on my avant.
oh wow. My drivers side (cheap $45 Amazon one) just arrived today and I planned on starting this tonight. Your post has scared me a little bit. Did you have to remove the window frame and glass etc? What year is your Avant? My car is an 06 A6. I’m sure they are similar. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You can see how this guy did it.

I would think a 06 and 08 would be the same. After an hour for twisting and turning it...I ended up pulling and flexing the window guide to get it (lock) to pop out.

But I would recommend taking the whole thing apart...because I really don't think the guide should have been bent like that! haha

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can see how this guy did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJEyHcrBYMo

I would think a 06 and 08 would be the same. After an hour for twisting and turning it...I ended up pulling and flexing the window guide to get it (lock) to pop out.

But I would recommend taking the whole thing apart...because I really don't think the guide should have been bent like that! haha

Good luck!
wow. Ok. I that black metal bar running vertically the bar that you are saying that you bent? So if I take Apart the entire window assembly I can maybe avoid bending it? Or just do what he did (looks easy right)? LOL.

In the video Is this a driver side door (with a right hand steering wheel)? Or is this the passenger side?
Old 05-16-2018, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

yes the black metal bar.

I don't think there is difference in drivers or passengers door insides.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

maybe someone who has a good manual can post what it says is needed to remove the lock?

But after my experience... next time it goes out...I will make do with manually locking the door and save myself an afternoon of pain!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

maybe someone who has a good manual can post what it says is needed to remove the lock?

But after my experience... next time it goes out...I will make do with manually locking the door and save myself an afternoon of pain!
i have been at it now for about 3 hours. I’m stuck trying to get the old lock out. The big plastic cover piece is in the way. I dont Know what is holding it in place. I see one little black fastener up top holding it and I cant Even get that out. I feel like I would have to break it. But there has to be more fasteners holding it in place back further in the door. I can’t contort my hands enough to get the door lock piece out of the little yellow connector. It would help to be able to remove the outside door latch but not sure how to do that or if I can because of this huge plastic cover!! Ugh.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

ok what part are you stuck on?

is the actuator free but you just cant get it past the black bar?

Quick Reply: Replacing drivers side door lock actuator