A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Replacing drivers side door lock actuator

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Can’t get it done from the plastic piece. The part of the plastic that you can see in the mirror that is wrapped around the electrical connection piece is preventing me from getting it down (to then try to get past the black bar). I cant Lift it high enough either to get it out of that thing. Please tell me I can Break that plastic piece!!!! LOL.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know if I understand exactly....but I pulled the wire gromet from the door to free the wires up a bit.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by al329
I dont know if I understand exactly....but I pulled the wire gromet from the door to free the wires up a bit.
never mind. I broke It. Look in the picture with me holding the mirror. Look at the reflection in the mirror. There is a plastic piece around he bottom of the actuator where you plug in the electrical connection. It won’t let me get the actuator out. I just Broke that piece. So oh well. Lol.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

on wire set ran to the lock actuator .. and one to the door handle...so wires would only free up a bit since I only disconnected the one that went to the actuator.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by akingzkid

never mind. I broke It. Look in the picture with me holding the mirror. Look at the reflection in the mirror. There is a plastic piece around he bottom of the actuator where you plug in the electrical connection. It won’t let me get the actuator out. I just Broke that piece. So oh well. Lol.

Ok lol
Old 05-16-2018, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Got it out!!! Whew. Had to muscle it out past the black bar. Not sure what good removing the bolt at the bottom does. There was more space at the top to remove it. I had to check the outside of the door to make sure I didn’t push the door out!! LOL. Now to get the new one in and remember where everything connects!! Wow.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

nice!
Old 05-16-2018, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by al329
nice!
Got it done!! Took 6 hours and lots of frustration. Results are good and bad.

Good - my alarm arms and my drivers door locks using the remote now!! I no longer have to lock and unlock my car (drivers door) by putting the key in the door lock.

Bad
- broke one or two clips on door panel. It is still secure and tight though. It just bothers me thinking about it.
- door doesn’t close easy anymore. Have to push it a little harder and it make a metal on metal sound. The latch inside the lock actuator seems to be hitting the strike plate more than it should. I’m sure it’s partly because it’s new and needs to be closed a few thousand times before it is a loose and worked in as the 12 year old one was. But is almost seems misaligned. Not sure how that could be because there are only 2 screws that hold it in place and there is no “play” in how those are installed. So, not sure on that one.
- handle on inside of door seems tight. Again, I’m sure after pulling it a few thousand times it will loosen up. But it feels twice as hard to open the latch now.
-lastly and worst of all......I put a few small bulges in my exterior door panel. Yes, the painted side. I did It by forcing the lock actuator in place while getting it last the tight black bar. I had to put it in and remove it about 5 times for various reasons and was having to muscle it past that black bar each time. Welp, that resulted in creating creases/bulges that can be seen on the outside of the door. Yeah, I was pretty upset when I noticed it after 6 hours of sweating. But you know what....I will get over it.

I will enjoy the freedom of my alarm and locks working properly now!!

If if anyone wants to tackle this job, contact me and I will give you the do’s and don’ts.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

oh finished good deal ... sucks took so long and had problems.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i'm looking at doing this fix this weekend. what are your recommendations on what i should and should not do? i've been in the door just to see what it's going to take and saw there's a white shield surrounding the actuator, how did you get that off? also, i read about the clip? i don't have the most petite hands, will this be an issue for me? thanks for any advice you have in tackling this replacement.

Quick Reply: Replacing drivers side door lock actuator