A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Tranny confused when stopping?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this problem in my 2008 S6 since I purchased with 45K on the clock, approaching 82K now. It's a certified car and have had the dealer try to remedy this problem several times. They have changed fluid, and stared at the VAG screen trying to find a code with no success. From my research this is an inherent problem with these ZF boxes, mine only has issues in sport mode, while coasting down to 1 or 2 mph, think real slow turn, into a parking lot or rolling through stop sign, during the 2-1 down shift, it hits a spot where its between gears for a second or two, and when you apply throttle, it will finally shift(bang) into first and go. It appears to be in the programming for the different modes as it never happens in D mode, (at least I don't recall it ever happening, seldom drive in D)

I am a big fan of changing the fluid on a regular basis, I will do mine every 50k.
Good Luck!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Korndog
I've had this problem in my 2008 S6 since I purchased with 45K on the clock, approaching 82K now. It's a certified car and have had the dealer try to remedy this problem several times. They have changed fluid, and stared at the VAG screen trying to find a code with no success. From my research this is an inherent problem with these ZF boxes, mine only has issues in sport mode, while coasting down to 1 or 2 mph, think real slow turn, into a parking lot or rolling through stop sign, during the 2-1 down shift, it hits a spot where its between gears for a second or two, and when you apply throttle, it will finally shift(bang) into first and go. It appears to be in the programming for the different modes as it never happens in D mode, (at least I don't recall it ever happening, seldom drive in D)

I am a big fan of changing the fluid on a regular basis, I will do mine every 50k.
Good Luck!
+1 for me.

I have a 2008 S6 and I have exactly the same issues and it only happens on S mode.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canucks6
+1 for me.

I have a 2008 S6 and I have exactly the same issues and it only happens on S mode.
+1. Same exact issue on my S6 in Sport mode. Good to know that fluid change doesn't help.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Korndog

Good Luck!
I am too with the C5, especially after the torque converter. But I talked with a ZF service center today and they said they don't recommend changing the fluid in the C6. Thought that was a curious response. Didn't expect that answer. But then I called my independent (who is excellent) and he said he doesn't normally change the fluid on the C6 either though he does it a lot on C5s.