A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Transmission hiccups?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid
ok. So you are saying that the further I have it pressed it, the less likely I will feel the jump or more I will feel it?

When you say "sport" mode, you are referring to more aggressive driving right, and not the "S" mode because you can't shift the car in "S" mode?

I will be installing a steering wheel with paddle shifters soon. I wonder if it will shift smoother using those than the gear stick? Any thoughts?

I guess time will tell.

Thanks.
No, the further you press it, the more likely you will feel the jump when changing the gear.
Yes, I meant aggressive driving in manual mode. In S mode, the car's computer decides to shift depending on how hard you are pressing the accelerator. With the S, you could see yourself in 4th gear even at low speed which sucks sometimes. The D and S mode on this car are pretty much adaptive. It all depends on how you drive the car. They can become harsh and shift earlier if you drive in an aggressive way and they can become smooth and shift later if you drive gracefully.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
No, the further you press it, the more likely you will feel the jump when changing the gear.
Yes, I meant aggressive driving in manual mode. In S mode, the car's computer decides to shift depending on how hard you are pressing the accelerator. With the S, you could see yourself in 4th gear even at low speed which sucks sometimes. The D and S mode on this car are pretty much adaptive. It all depends on how you drive the car. They can become harsh and shift earlier if you drive in an aggressive way and they can become smooth and shift later if you drive gracefully.
ok. Thanks for the feedback. Well, I consider myself a graceful driver (compared to how you tell me that you drive your car) so my shifting in manual should not be as harsh as it is (it's really not too bad, just not smooth as I think it should be). And it does it if I'm manually shifting it while driving leisurely or if I am "getting on it". Oh well, it is what it is. I will see if it improves when I get the paddle shifters installed.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ok. Thanks for the feedback. Well, I consider myself a graceful driver (compared to how you tell me that you drive your car) so my shifting in manual should not be as harsh as it is (it's really not too bad, just not smooth as I think it should be). And it does it if I'm manually shifting it while driving leisurely or if I am "getting on it". Oh well, it is what it is. I will see if it improves when I get the paddle shifters installed.
You got me wrong. The jumps are felt even more when you are driving gracefully. They are gone when driving aggressively which makes me think the manual mode on this car is meant for sport driving.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You got me wrong. The jumps are felt even more when you are driving gracefully. They are gone when driving aggressively which makes me think the manual mode on this car is meant for sport driving.
ok. But in your post above you said, "No, the further you press it, the more likely you will feel the jump when changing the gear". But you are now saying I will feel the "bump" more when shifting in manual mode while driving gracefully. I'm confused. LOL. :-)

I will go with your second answer that I should feel less bump when I manually shift while driving aggressively (pressing pedal down farther). Thanks.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ok. But in your post above you said, "No, the further you press it, the more likely you will feel the jump when changing the gear". But you are now saying I will feel the "bump" more when shifting in manual mode while driving gracefully. I'm confused. LOL. :-)

I will go with your second answer that I should feel less bump when I manually shift while driving aggressively (pressing pedal down farther). Thanks.
I sustain my previous statement too. The point is, during aggressive driving, shifting is being done at higher RPMs and higher speeds so the jumps would be more severe but since you are driving aggressively already, you wouldn't feel them jumps, or even better they would be welcome because they suit that driving style.
On the other hand, when you drive gracefully the jumps would be less harsh than when you were driving aggressively but your state of mind and the driving style would make you feel them more.
You get the point?
Old 07-25-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I sustain my previous statement too. The point is, during aggressive driving, shifting is being done at higher RPMs and higher speeds so the jumps would be more severe but since you are driving aggressively already, you wouldn't feel them jumps, or even better they would be welcome because they suit that driving style.
On the other hand, when you drive gracefully the jumps would be less harsh than when you were driving aggressively but your state of mind and the driving style would make you feel them more.
You get the point?
I get your point. Thanks. However, I'm not sure I would agree with it only because personally, I don't want to feel the bump during either type of driving. I feel that it is a design flaw or either something is wrong with my car. I have a Mercedes that shifts as smooth as butter when using the manual shifting no matter how I am driving (aggressively or gracefully). Dang Audi. Ugh. LOL.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I get your point. Thanks. However, I'm not sure I would agree with it only because personally, I don't want to feel the bump during either type of driving. I feel that it is a design flaw or either something is wrong with my car. I have a Mercedes that shifts as smooth as butter when using the manual shifting no matter how I am driving (aggressively or gracefully). Dang Audi. Ugh. LOL.
It is very likely your Mercedes uses a dual-clutch transmission.

The most common type of semi-automatic transmission in recent years has been the dual clutch type, since single-clutch types such as the SMG III have been criticized for their general lack of smoothness in everyday driving (although being responsive at the track)
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-a...c_transmission
Old 08-06-2018, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I installed the wheel with paddle shifters and it feels exactly the same as if I am using the gear shifter. Again, it's not bad but the shift is identical. Just FYI.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Does anyone know how to remove the camshaft position solenoids? I really want to take them out and apply 12V to them to test them. I guess I could do it with them in the car but would prefer to do it after removing them to be safe. I hope they are the cause of my random occasional misfires on all cylinders.

The only one I could remove was the one up top on the driver's side. The one up top on the passenger side has too much stuff around it to allow me to gently get a flathead screwdriver under the lip to pry it up a little. That's how I got the one out on the driver's side. And the other two (I believe they are the exhaust ones) are down in the valve cover (like how the spark plugs are) and it is impossible to grab ahold of it to pull it out. I was trying to gently pull on them with some plyers and I was afraid I was going to mess something up.

How do I get these things out?????

Thanks.