A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

UK: A6 C6 , MMI LCD = dead , upgraded to Android, still dead, help me, obi wan!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

The Control Head which is module 07, is not among the modules in your printout. I can't say with certainty why that is but it could be just because the file used to tell VCDS which modules to talk to (don't remember it's name) doesn't have that module in it. It would be worth checking with VCDS again and put in that module number manually and let us know what you get. I believe that is the primary module for the operation of the MMI not the radio module. It includes the ability to reset the MMI as well as access to the service menu and other fun stuff.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonzie77
The Control Head which is module 07, is not among the modules in your printout. I can't say with certainty why that is but it could be just because the file used to tell VCDS which modules to talk to (don't remember it's name) doesn't have that module in it. It would be worth checking with VCDS again and put in that module number manually and let us know what you get. I believe that is the primary module for the operation of the MMI not the radio module. It includes the ability to reset the MMI as well as access to the service menu and other fun stuff.

"From 2008 Audi changed from MMI 2G to MMI 3G and with that did away with the following hardware modules Control Head, AMI, Navigation, Bluetooth & SDS and combined them into the Audi Multimedia (5F) module, so there is no longer any module under the carpets, they also did away with the basic AMP and integrated that into the radio module."

source: Please Help MMI not working, black screen and controls
Old 04-08-2021, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

jonzie77, I did check online, it did does seem like there is an issue with the bluetooth module which may cause the problem I'm experiencing, but I'm not sure I have a bluetooth module, I have looked under the carpet on the passenger side where it is expected to be, but its not there.

Do you reckon the RHD module has it located under the driven carpet? or maybe I just don't have one?

for the records its an : A6 2009 3L Quattro (RHD)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 344 Likes on 288 Posts

Oh, RHD. All I know is the Bluetooth module is under the driver's seat (left) for LHD models. Maybe you should check under your RHD model driver's seat (right) to rule that out?
Old 04-08-2021, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
Oh, RHD. All I know is the Bluetooth module is under the driver's seat (left) for LHD models. Maybe you should check under your RHD model driver's seat (right) to rule that out?
I don't see a bluetooth or phone module specced in the car on VCDS scan though, implying that I don't have one, are they standard or optional? in A6 2009 facelift Saloon?

Digging up the driver carpet seems like a hell of a job, which i may end up having to do, but ..
Old 04-08-2021, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I am not sure to be honest. European models usually come as standard with pretty basic stuff. North American and especially US models have more options as standard. I am not familar with the facelift model either so I can't tell you for sure. All I can say is I have Bluetooth but I don't see any mention of it while scanning the car.

You may confirm with the original owner if that is still possible.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 151 Likes on 135 Posts

I never knew it also turns off the unit... never held it that long lol
Old 04-08-2021, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

My apologies, I was unaware that you had the 2009 which means you have the 3G system whereas my 2008 has the 2G High system. As for the Bluetooth module, as you suggest I don't think it comes up in a scan so it would be cause for concern. I don't know if this is still true for the 3G but in the 2G High a "phone module" is only a thing if you have a phone installed at Audi. It probably does what a cellphone does but is not as upgradeable. The Bluetooth module is the normal way to talk through your cellphone and is accessed through the "TEL" button on the console or, of course, through buttons on the steering wheel. You said above :
"I do not believe it is a power on/off issue related to the lcd as the lights on the control unit next to the gearbox do not illuminate, this implies that the issue is something else, I did suspect it may be the circuit of the control unit, so I had that swapped out with a new one, still no illumination."
I have had this issue from time to time also where the MMI control does not illuminate but it always delivers audio. Usually, I just have to turn the car off and back on for it to light up again. I doesn't happen often enough for me to dig in any deeper but if it starts happening more frequently I will definitely investigate.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry I missed that. A failed component would not cause the lights around the gearbox to stop illuminating. When my Sirius module failed, I still had the lights. You may want to investigate the MMI Control Module circuit board. Somebody might have spilled coffee or something over it.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 151 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jonzie77
, I was unaware that you had the 2009 which means you have the 3G system.

Mines a 2009, I don’t have 3G

Quick Reply: UK: A6 C6 , MMI LCD = dead , upgraded to Android, still dead, help me, obi wan!