A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-02-2016, 02:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

valve cover gasket replacement in 2005 A6 C6

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, let me first say, I got it done. Now let me say, I broke something else in the process. LOL

The little 90 degree elbow on the back on the air tube going from the air filter to the throttle body just snapped as I trying to remove the tube from it.

Looking at the online parts places like genuineaudiparts, it looks like that little check valve is not available separately. And the air tube is about 110 or so from that site.

SO much for saving $$.

Has anybody else broken this? Will it throw a code or run poorly if it isn't hooked up? Has anybody gone to an aftermarket air intake setup and have this air tube lying around just collecting dust and want to get rid of it while helping out a fellow Audi owner?

The part # is listed as 06E 129 629 E for the 2005 A6 3.2L.

Any additional input/tips would be appreciated!

Now as far as the install went (other than my mishap), things went pretty easily. Hardest part was undoing the connectors for the electrical points that had to be disconnected. With a jointed elbow for the socket set, the driver side was much easier.

When I got the cover off, I checked each spark plug hole for oil. 3 of the 6 (1 passenger, 2 driver), had oil in them. So I guess I found where the oil was going that caused us to have to add more oil than I thought necessary.

Before removing the plugs, I used a long thin rod with cloth around it to absorb up as much oil as possible. I got most of it. When I removed the plugs, I would wipe down again as well as possible with a microfiber shop towel and that long rod. Even so, a bit of oil still went in. The plugs were COVERED in oil, so that kinda pisses me off and may explain why I've had to replace coils more than necessary).

The driver side gasket was brittle and would not come off in one piece. Passenger side was a bit more pliable, but still getting crusty. The new gasket went on perfectly and I had no issues keeping it in place while securing.

Many thanks to those of you who have provided tips, insight, confidence-inspiring words of wisdom, and the general reassurance to do this myself.

Now to get the check valve issue fixed. LOL
Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NR04
I did this on the driver's side (US) last week. Pretty simple task. Took exactly one hour from start to finish. The only difficult part was trying to remove the ventilation tube. I just left it on and twisted the valve cover around so I can rip the old one out and place the new one on.

I'm not sure where people are putting the RTV.. As stated by R1Racer, the original gasket does not need additional sealant. I have no issues not using it.
I think the idea was to hold the gasket in place on the underside of the cover so it wouldn't fall, separate, or otherwise come loose from the cover while being reinstalled. I didn't use any either and had no issues.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by r1racer
In the above photo, how do you remove that check valve so you can remove the air tube? That's what I broke yesterday (somehow I missed that step). If I can replace the tube and put a new check valve on, how do I get the broken part off? I'm worried about breaking anything else there...
Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skimblzbvs
In the above photo, how do you remove that check valve so you can remove the air tube? That's what I broke yesterday (somehow I missed that step). If I can replace the tube and put a new check valve on, how do I get the broken part off? I'm worried about breaking anything else there...
I didn't remove the air tube, just bent it out of the way. Isn't there a clamp connecting it to a hose? I am not sure that the valve can be removed from the air tube.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
I did the side where the coolant reservoir is located. The row of screws on the lowest side was hard to get to. I checked again after a couple of days and there was oil in the screw heads on the lower row. Guess they were not tightened all the way - so stopped at pepboys (while on the way skiing), and tightened all of them a bit more. I think I might have stripped one a little though
That sucks...did you get a new screw? Any more leaks?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default did you change the other gasket too since ur leaking

Originally Posted by r1racer
Oil in one or more of the spark plug tubes/on the coil packs or leaking around the cover. However, it could be the gasket in the head as well.

Do you mind posting the torque specs?
Hello r1racer, I'm changing my valve cover gasket and noticed 2 other gaskets too (cylinder head and in the middle where the spark plugs are). Did you end up pulling the cylinder head gasket off to change it? If you did, is it as easy as putting it back without any issues since it is the cylinder head with all the valves connected. I was thinking of pulling it out even though I don't have a leak but don't know once I take out the valves if I need to do some kind of measurements to put it back. Any tips is wonderful.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default OIL LEAK INSIDE ONE OF THE SPARK PLUG PASSENGER SIDE

Originally Posted by bballfreak
I know the feeling. After replacing the valve cover, which was badly needed as there was oil where the spark plugs were, and I thought the rear oil
leak was coming from the valve cover.
After replacing the valve cover, I still have oil leak from the passenger side front, may be the cam seals? I don't know.
Just have to be careful and patience.
I bought the parts from genuineaudiparts.com as I wanted to use OE for
valve cover.
Good Luck
I also have one oil leak when I took out the spark plug (near the passenger side only). What does that mean?
Old 12-19-2014, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by !staudi35
I also have one oil leak when I took out the spark plug (near the passenger side only). What does that mean?
pictures......
Old 12-22-2014, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by !staudi35
Hello r1racer, I'm changing my valve cover gasket and noticed 2 other gaskets too (cylinder head and in the middle where the spark plugs are). Did you end up pulling the cylinder head gasket off to change it? If you did, is it as easy as putting it back without any issues since it is the cylinder head with all the valves connected. I was thinking of pulling it out even though I don't have a leak but don't know once I take out the valves if I need to do some kind of measurements to put it back. Any tips is wonderful.
No I ended up selling it, LOL. What you may want to try is tightening the torx screws a bit (at your own risk) while you have the covers off. May or may not stop the leaks but worth a shot.

I believe you have to remove the timing chain covers and heads to get to the other gaskets (big job).

Last edited by r1racer; 12-22-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Raj
I did my valve covers but I did not put the silicone dab as I read your post later. I have a leak and it seems from the valve cover in the front passenger side. what exactly do you mean by putting silicone around the corners of the arc? let me know thks

Quick Reply: valve cover gasket replacement in 2005 A6 C6