A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

best way to get audi connect without paying audi 30 a month?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
They do and that's a step in the right direction for using the phone in the car. Unfortunately, the current versions are still quite limited. They can't take advantage of the virtual cockpit and the app choice is limited. Only Apple Maps in case of Car Play for example. Android Auto at least is about to get Waze support on top of the already superior Google Maps.
Agreed. I was really impressed with the Google voice activation when I said HOME, the android auto immediately set my house address and confirmed with me and I said yes. It's so much more accurate then the Audi mmi itself. Even calling people and sending texts through voice is awesome!
Old 04-05-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Agreed. I was really impressed with the Google voice activation when I said HOME, the android auto immediately set my house address and confirmed with me and I said yes. It's so much more accurate then the Audi mmi itself. Even calling people and sending texts through voice is awesome!
Well, those examples work just fine with the MMI as well. I have my home address stored in the MMI and all I have to say is "Home address" and off it goes. I've turned off the confirmation prompts, so I don't even have to confirm. It just starts navigating. The new MMIs even have natural language recognition, so you can say something like "Drive me home". It's also very easy to navigate to a contact stored on your phone, just say "Navigate to John Smith". Same for calling, it's just as easy. I've never had issues with the MMI's voice recognition ever. I continue to be surprised at how well it works even with a lot of road noise.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a TruPhone SIM in 2013 for my 2012 A7. It worked great until January, 2017, when AT&T eliminated 2G support. I don't understand why that would cause an issue, as I'm sure I've gotten 3G data in the past, but it no longer works. I'm wondering whether it's worth trying a different SIM company.

I contacted TruPhone and they tried to help, but basically said they didn't know why it stopped working.

Is anyone with a 2012 vintage Audi using FreedomPop successfully?
Old 04-05-2017, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ACHiPo289
I bought a TruPhone SIM in 2013 for my 2012 A7. It worked great until January, 2017, when AT&T eliminated 2G support. I don't understand why that would cause an issue, as I'm sure I've gotten 3G data in the past, but it no longer works. I'm wondering whether it's worth trying a different SIM company.

I contacted TruPhone and they tried to help, but basically said they didn't know why it stopped working.

Is anyone with a 2012 vintage Audi using FreedomPop successfully?
TruPhone used to use T-Mobile's network until June/July 2016 at which point they switched to AT&T. At that point you must have gotten downgraded to AT&T 2G, because the 2012 modem doesn't support AT&T's 3G bands. Then when AT&T shutdown their 2G network Jan 1, 2017 you lost all connectivity. Several people are using FreedomPop, but it sounds like with FreedomPop the MMI thinks you are roaming and you have to confirm a prompt every time you turn on the car.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

TruPhone used to use T-Mobile's network until June/July 2016 at which point they switched to AT&T. At that point you must have gotten downgraded to AT&T 2G, because the 2012 modem doesn't support AT&T's 3G bands. Then when AT&T shutdown their 2G network Jan 1, 2017 you lost all connectivity. Several people are using FreedomPop, but it sounds like with FreedomPop the MMI thinks you are roaming and you have to confirm a prompt every time you turn on the car.
SuperSwiss,
Thanks! That's the explanation I've been looking for. I'll give FreedomPop a try. Wish I didn't have $70 of credit with TruPhone, but it was still a lot less than the $30/month through Audi and T-Mobile for 4 years!

AC
Old 04-06-2017, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've turned off the confirmation prompts, so I don't even have to confirm. It just starts navigating.
How do I turn off the confirmation prompts? They've been annoying me for years!

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

One more question about FreedomPop--for the 2012 Audi, is there any reason to get voice&data, or is the data-only sim sufficient?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How do I turn off the confirmation prompts? They've been annoying me for years!

Thanks.
Go to the main settings, voice recognition and then there should be a setting to toggle between long dialog and short dialog. Change it to short dialog.

One more question about FreedomPop--for the 2012 Audi, is there any reason to get voice&data, or is the data-only sim sufficient?

Thanks!
Data-only is all you need.
The following users liked this post:
Audi_A7 (01-08-2022)
Old 04-06-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Go to the main settings, voice recognition and then there should be a setting to toggle between long dialog and short dialog. Change it to short dialog.

Data-only is all you need.
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2017, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Does anyone know if the freedompop LTE sim will work in a 2012 A7?

Quick Reply: best way to get audi connect without paying audi 30 a month?