A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

best way to get audi connect without paying audi 30 a month?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a MY2015 Q7. I’ve read thru most of this thread and I am a little confused, partially because this thread is a jumble of MY’s and models. I could use a little help.

I have not had Audi Connect, however SIM’s are relatively inexpensive. If I was to pop a SIM in what services would I receive without Audi Connect? What would I not have?

Diving deeper what APN would I enter and what data service is needed?: 4G/LTE, 3G, 2G is done end of this year, so hopefully that’s not a problem. Should I be looking for AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon?

If these have been answered and my Googling hasn’t been so great please feel free to direct me to a link.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Carplay convo

Originally Posted by superswiss
They do and that's a step in the right direction for using the phone in the car. Unfortunately, the current versions are still quite limited. They can't take advantage of the virtual cockpit and the app choice is limited. Only Apple Maps in case of Car Play for example. Android Auto at least is about to get Waze support on top of the already superior Google Maps.
So that’s not strictly true anymore. If you lookup carplay_audi, you can learn about what is possible. This guy in China can update your 2016 MMI and give you either Carplay or Android Auto. And you aren’t limited to Apple Maps - I have both Google Maps and Waze in my 2016 A7.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2018 A7, the initial 6-month att trial is expired so got a freedompop sim card. But cannot find "Connection Settings" option in the Data connection menu where APN setting should be changed as the manual says. Someone took a photo and have this page of manual showing the difference. Thinking AUDIlocked us out with a software update to prevent us from using other carriers? Too bad.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/attac...7&d=1559026319

https://www.audizine.com/forum/attac...6&d=1559026319
The following users liked this post:
Audi_A7 (01-08-2022)
Old 06-16-2019, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilsontour
2018 A7, the initial 6-month att trial is expired so got a freedompop sim card. But cannot find "Connection Settings" option in the Data connection menu where APN setting should be changed as the manual says. Someone took a photo and have this page of manual showing the difference. Thinking AUDIlocked us out with a software update to prevent us from using other carriers? Too bad.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/attac...7&d=1559026319

https://www.audizine.com/forum/attac...6&d=1559026319
How did you replace the original SIM card with the Freedompop SIM card in your 2018 A7? I thought Audi locked all SIM cards in their newer models. I know in my 2019 A6, the SIM cards are no longer removable.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In C7 A7/A6, the sim card is removable. Mine is 2018 A7 which is previous generation, so still removable. However AUDI disabled the connection setting feature, softly locked it. I have given up now

Originally Posted by ONI1013
How did you replace the original SIM card with the Freedompop SIM card in your 2018 A7? I thought Audi locked all SIM cards in their newer models. I know in my 2019 A6, the SIM cards are no longer removable.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilsontour
In C7 A7/A6, the sim card is removable. Mine is 2018 A7 which is previous generation, so still removable. However AUDI disabled the connection setting feature, softly locked it. I have given up now
Oh ok. Was wondering when they did that switch over with the SIM cards. Heard somewhere you may be able to bypass the soft lock with OBDEleven. But I’m not certain.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2018 A7 and my 6 month trial is over. I don't use the Wifi in the car, but I do like having traffic congestion show up on my maps automatically and I love the beautiful Google Earth skyview pictures on the screen - so I would like to buy the cheapest plan that support these features. (I don't need any of the other features.)

I have read the thread above and it looks like:
  • The Freedompop is not an option for the 2018, so that option is out.
  • I have attempted to enroll in the AT&T $10 per month option, but it looks like I would need to be have existing AT&T account for this option to be available, so that option is out.
Does this mean I am stuck with the $250 per year AT&T plan?

Thanks to others who have figured this out!
Old 07-04-2019, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Does anyone have a link on where to buy any of these SIM cards that will work for a 2016 A7? I have read over this thread and only thing I saw was buy a Freedompop of Amzon.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

.Hi gang,
Just bought the Popfreedom sim card.. no options now but was like 5 cents. Accidentally ordered two as their site is confusing . I have a early model 2016 a=7 prestige . Took the old audi sim card out and installed the new pop card as per earlier instructions Ie change to user name to apn fp.com.attz user name and such left blank. Anyway now got google maps and who knows what for free. Hard to figure out how to change your plan to free. And site wants to add a special service at7$ a month really hard to get rid of.Now only one type of card you can buy. But if problems I found if you hang in there and complain to their support email address they say you can't use unless you up grade, didn't but still got thru and get a person to help you. My question now is should I port my Verizon number into their account? It's like $10 and not sure of the benefits T.hanks and hope this is a helpful but old bump
Old 08-17-2019, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Conor Halfpenny
Does anyone have a link on where to buy any of these SIM cards that will work for a 2016 A7? I have read over this thread and only thing I saw was buy a Freedompop of Amzon.
If you purchase a SIM directly from FreedomPop it is pre-configured and ready to go:

http://fpop.co/mrIx

I just installed it in my 2016 A5 and it works great. The Google Maps send-to-car is now working and I can use the nav without entering the address by hand!

Quick Reply: best way to get audi connect without paying audi 30 a month?