A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Bluetooth Speakerphone Quality Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Speakerphone Quality Problems?

Hello everyone, first post to the forum.

I took delivery of an A7 a couple of months ago, and I have a problem that's been frustrating the heck out of me.

In all my previous cars (mostly BMWs) the speakerphone was awesome; in my 7 series people couldn't tell the difference between me doing 80 on the highway or being in my office. I guess that's what great noise cancellation does for you.

In the A7 however people constantly complain about not hearing me well. I raised the phone mic volume to max, but even then, I often have to (almost) yell to be heard & understood. This is only when I'm in traffic and at relatively high speeds; doing 20 in rush hour fixes the problem.

Am I alone with this issue?

-Martona
Old 11-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ours is perfect. As good as my BMW's or MBZ.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto! Actually better. My kid sister who has MB SLK just said the same thing.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Best speakerphone/handsfree/voice recognition system I ever had. No complaints from people I talk to on it.

Yours may be defective.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did get those exact same complaints early on but I do not now but I confused as I changed nothing.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A7 Bluetooth problem

Originally Posted by martona
Hello everyone, first post to the forum.

I took delivery of an A7 a couple of months ago, and I have a problem that's been frustrating the heck out of me.

In all my previous cars (mostly BMWs) the speakerphone was awesome; in my 7 series people couldn't tell the difference between me doing 80 on the highway or being in my office. I guess that's what great noise cancellation does for you.

In the A7 however people constantly complain about not hearing me well. I raised the phone mic volume to max, but even then, I often have to (almost) yell to be heard & understood. This is only when I'm in traffic and at relatively high speeds; doing 20 in rush hour fixes the problem.

Am I alone with this issue?

-Martona
I have exactly the same problem. I'm using my iPhone via the Bluetooth connection (as iphones and Blackberry's dont have a usable sim access profile) and I might as well not bother making phone calls when I'm going over 30mph. I can hear my caller ok but they keep saying they can hardly hear me as the sound quality is so poor! Not good for such an expensive car.

What's even more frustrating is that I have the MMI high feature which gives me Google maps, etc.. Nobody at Audi said that when you have a sim card in the dashboard so that online services such as Google maps can be used, you can't use your cell phone as the default phone for hands free calls via Bluetooth at the same time.

I'm in the UK and you can't get a duplicate sim card here, this means you have to have one phone number for your car and another different number for your cellphone if you want to use the MMI online facilities,

I wonder if the people that have no problem with the sound quality are using their phone either via the sim access profile or are using the built in phone via the sim card in the dashboard? Answers please, or better still, if anyone knows how to make the car use the iPhone as the default phone and still use Audi connect services at the same that would be great. Come on Audi please sort this out.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm that is one thing I changed.

I ditched my iPhone due to lack of SAP support and also got frustrated I could not have a Data SIM in the car AND use a Bluetooth cell phone. This is a shame and hopefully Audi can sort this.

However Blackberry Bold 9700 DOES support SAP and works great as both a phone and for data (provided you have a suitable plan).

Shame on Apple for no proper SAP support for iPhone.

However in your case if you are using the SIM slot for your phone, I cannot see how this would be any different from using SAP.

In my case I wonder if it was going from simple Bluetooth Hands-Free on iPhone to SAP on Blackberry which improved things? SAP uses the car aerial which has to help.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Audi connect service is not available in Canada, so the MMI+ in the car does not have the module, no SIM slot, only 2 SD sockets. I connect my Blackberry via Bluetooth and the sound quality is impeccable.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
The Audi connect service is not available in Canada, so the MMI+ in the car does not have the module, no SIM slot, only 2 SD sockets. I connect my Blackberry via Bluetooth and the sound quality is impeccable.
Yes but is the Bluetooth connection simple 'handsfree' or 'Sim Access Profile' which would be the same as plugging the SIM in the slot in the car.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hashluck
Yes but is the Bluetooth connection simple 'handsfree' or 'Sim Access Profile' which would be the same as plugging the SIM in the slot in the car.
I will check it tomorrow and let you know.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Speakerphone Quality Problems?