A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Dealership decided to play with my RS7

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership decided to play with my RS7

Hey Guys,

So I just put my car in for the pods recall, and I left my dash camera plugged in to the rear outlet. As you assume, the techs decided to open it up / redline the car. They car had no business being on the road in the first place, and now I have video of the vehicle going 89+ MHP / redlining gears. I'm pissed as i'm sure anyone would be. What would you guys recommend me telling the dealership, they offered a free car wash (usually free).

Thanks

Old 04-22-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Politely say:
"Yeah, but that's probably grand larceny, taking my car without my permission and redlining it on the road. I'm more worried about what they may have done to my gears and whether they wore off some of my tires.
Free car wash? Not good enough. Try again. HARDER. Much harder. Neither one of us wants me to file a police report."

The guys who took it for a ride deserve some harshness from their boss. Free car wash? Nah, the dealership should be offering you your next service for free, or extending your warranty for a bit for free, or something that's closer to what it would cost for someone to go rent an R7 for a joyride. Having the car really detailed would be a nice peace offering.

What's a cheap car wash by you? I can get a clean simple rack wash for $3. (And no one smears my windshield.)
Old 04-22-2019, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah for sure, I'm going to push getting car warranty extended / CPO. I can get my car washed free there any way so it literally was no offer at all. Thinking about making /editing a video together any posting on YouTube.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

In this day and age with dash cams you would think the service advisors would notice that and not do anything stupid. However, it still happens.

I'm not an attorney, but I suspect that it would be difficult to prove grand larceny as any time you take your car in for service they will always do a quick test drive to make sure everything checks out. That's not an excuse for them to do what they did, but makes for a hard case to prove. I think the YouTube threat is good along with a threat of contacting local news outlets with the story. Local stations love to broadcast stories where consumers are being ripped off. Also could share with auto sites like Autoblog and /Drive

You might want to ask for your next big milestone routine maintenance to be done for free. That's the 20K, 30K or 40K service. Those are not cheap
Old 04-27-2019, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Demand a meeting with the service manager, sales manager, and franchise owner and show them the video. I think you will get almost anything you want at that point. If that fails then take it up to the regional manager.

My my friend was getting work done on his Harley and the local store was dicking him around. As soon as the regional manager got involved things cleared up immediately. They had to get parts from a shop 2 hours away. Franchise owner was voluntold by the regional manager to personally go get the parts or else his franchise would get pulled and while he might be a motorcycle shop, he would no longer be a Harley dealer.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Valpo A7
Demand a meeting with the service manager, sales manager, and franchise owner and show them the video. I think you will get almost anything you want at that point. If that fails then take it up to the regional manager.

My my friend was getting work done on his Harley and the local store was dicking him around. As soon as the regional manager got involved things cleared up immediately. They had to get parts from a shop 2 hours away. Franchise owner was voluntold by the regional manager to personally go get the parts or else his franchise would get pulled and while he might be a motorcycle shop, he would no longer be a Harley dealer.
This. Imagine if they damaged something or got in an accident. I think they need to know what their guys are doing with these cars. Plus, they definitely should offer more than a car wash.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Davepjr71, my parents neighbor had that happen. Tech took his Blazer out for a "test drive" and wrecked it. From what I remember the tech was either out buying or selling and had been doing this for a while with customer cars. He had noted a mileage discrepancy on previous service trips as well. Took it in for service and got it back with 30-50 miles put on it. Pretty sure the Blazer got replaced.

I always write down my mileage and reset the trip meter when I drop off for service. I can understand a few miles on a test drive but any more than 5 I am ready to say bull****.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Yura, while you're talking to the dealer principal, tell them I'd like to take a joy, ergh, test ride in one of their RS7's. I'm not going to buy it or anything, but I'll be glad to run it through a car wash when I bring it back.

You know, since they seem to think that's reasonable and all.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

I would blast the video on social media. I am sure it will take off and the dealer will kiss up to you real soon.