A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Driver's side front door is closed, but the car tells me that it's still open.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's side front door is closed, but the car tells me that it's still open.

Today, we were cleaning the intake valves using CRC GDI cleaner (spray), and my girlfirend was in the car keeping the engine revved to 2K RPM while I sprayed the CRC cleaner into the engine. During the procedure, she had the driver's side door open while revving the engine and letting it idle for the minute afterwords. After finishing the cleaning procedure, we shut off the car and noticed that the driver's window was going up and down (that 1/4 inch or so) that it does when a door is opened or closed. It did this for a few minutes, then the window just stayed down and the car always shows that the driver's side door is always in the open position. I took it for a drive down the road, and the dome lights will stay on and the display in the dash shows the door being open.

Has anybody else had this problem, or seen something similar to this happen?

Does this sound like the door switch, or should I be looking for a solution elsewhere?
Old 01-06-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't had this exact issue - or at least not to the same extent/severity. However, once or twice I've received the "door open" indicator or some other random, erroneous warning. Just this week it told me the parking brake was engaged, even though it clearly wasn't. The next time I started up the car everything cleared out and was back to normal. I chalked it up to gremlins that stop by for a minute, do their thing and move on.

Obviously, if the problem persists or recurs, get it checked out. If not, take the win and don't worry about it. Even fancy cars can benefit from the "turn it off and turn it on again" fix sometimes. God knows that with as much money as we all put into servicing these things we deserve a freebie once in a while.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by deabionni
Today, we were cleaning the intake valves using CRC GDI cleaner (spray), and my girlfirend was in the car keeping the engine revved to 2K RPM while I sprayed the CRC cleaner into the engine. During the procedure, she had the driver's side door open while revving the engine and letting it idle for the minute afterwords. After finishing the cleaning procedure, we shut off the car and noticed that the driver's window was going up and down (that 1/4 inch or so) that it does when a door is opened or closed. It did this for a few minutes, then the window just stayed down and the car always shows that the driver's side door is always in the open position. I took it for a drive down the road, and the dome lights will stay on and the display in the dash shows the door being open.

Has anybody else had this problem, or seen something similar to this happen?

Does this sound like the door switch, or should I be looking for a solution elsewhere?
This definitely sounds like a switch issue. The door is closed but the switch isn't telling the system that. Door switches can easily be tested with an Ohm-meter.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

With all the snow we've been getting up here in northern Michigan, I'm just going to take it into Audi next week and let them fix it at the same time they're working on the PODS recall. I'll report back with what the actual problem was just in case someone else has a similar problem in the future.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
This definitely sounds like a switch issue. The door is closed but the switch isn't telling the system that. Door switches can easily be tested with an Ohm-meter.
The problem ended up being a door switch issue, which is built into the door latch. The door latch needed to be replaced to solve the problem.