A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

hood paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood paint chips

holy crap, my 2001 A6 never got so many paint chips on the front of the hood like my new 2012 A7,after only a few months its already riddled. Did they switch to thinner paint or something? Gosh.

So now that the front of my hood looks like the dark side of the moon, what do you guys recommend for repairing the paint and should I get a clear bra? I didn't want the clear bra because I hate the way they look and I never had a problem with my previous Audi, but this one just seems to have really crappy paint, it comes off like its nothing.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It might the aluminum hood or it might be soft paint. Clips have been a problem. I'm planning on having the entire front covered in the clear protection film ASAP after taking possession.

Get the chips professionally fixed and have the nose covered.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Get the chips professionally fixed and have the nose covered.
By professionally fixed, what do you mean? entirely paint the hood or can they touch it up? If its going to be covered by plastic hood, then touched up will probably be fine, but who would do it best? And where is good place to get the hood?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dewdman - Not sure by what you mean about not liking the way the clear films look unless you only get half the hood done, which is how a lot of people have it done. You can't tell on mine unless you know it's on there and feel the edges along the hood and fenders. I had my guy cover the entire front clip - bumper, full hood, and full front fenders, plus the two mirrors. I also had him put film on the top of the rear bumper so if anything slips lifting it out the back I won't damage the paint. It's all in the person you have installing it too.

I didn't do it on the Z06 and it looked like crap after the first year. Bit the bullet and had the front end resprayed and then the film went on a week later. Good luck with yours!!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bmcds4
Dewdman - Not sure by what you mean about not liking the way the clear films look unless you only get half the hood done, which is how a lot of people have it done.
That is all I have ever seen and that is what dealership tried to sell me when I bought the car too. A few of the rock chips probably are beyond what the clear film hood would have been, but definitely I didn't like the idea of the look of a "bra" so I didn't get it.

You can't tell on mine unless you know it's on there and feel the edges along the hood and fenders. I had my guy cover the entire front clip - bumper, full hood, and full front fenders, plus the two mirrors. I also had him put film on the top of the rear bumper so if anything slips lifting it out the back I won't damage the paint. It's all in the person you have installing it too.
Where do I find a place that can do this type of work?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Dewd: http://drcolorchip.com/
Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
That looks interesting. Some of the chips are actually quite huge. Its like the paint is just falling off the car. I'm quit unimpressed with Audi right now.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I hear ya. Our '11 car chips badly, our '06 car doesn't really chip at all. Massive difference.

The Dr Colorchip is a decent product. I purchased it a couple weeks ago.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I hear ya. Our '11 car chips badly, our '06 car doesn't really chip at all. Massive difference.

The Dr Colorchip is a decent product. I purchased it a couple weeks ago.
I will probably get it for other chips as they come up, but right now I'm inclined to have this attended to by a pro, its pretty bad and I'll put the plastic hood on it. But I'm not sure which pro I should go see. Body shop? Audi Dealer? Who installs those plastic films?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dewdman42
But I'm not sure which pro I should go see. Body shop? Audi Dealer? Who installs those plastic films?
There are some business/people that specialize in chip and small dent repair. Where are you located? Larger metro areas have local forums where you can find the best paint protection films and tint places. If the dealer has a good collision shop, they might be a good choice for chip repair. There are three or four brands of paint protection film. Each manufacturer has a list of shops that install it. Research the choices and find out how close the installers are to you.

My local Audi dealer sends paint protection jobs down the street to a tint shop. It's not the highest rated shop in town. I'll probably go with the guy that does the better job rather than the highest rated film.

Quick Reply: hood paint chips