A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

LED headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In my opinion, the cornering lights works much better than the adaptive headlights.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 717 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevial
I just checked the UK A7 brochure, it shows Adaptive Lighting as Headlight Swiveling, and is available with the full LED headlights
There are differences as to what features will be included with the LED units---it's based on U.S. government safety regulations, as well as local State motor vehicle regs. In this case, for U.S. imported cars, there are limits to what Audi may be permitted to incorporate into these lights---at least until these features go through testing and approval at the U.S. Department of Transportation, and that is costly and takes long lead time. There may also be individual state restrictions that might preclude Audi from being able to install some other features like "range control." Me thinks that EU spec cars have already gone through this process, or perhaps may not need to (?)

It's my hunch that Audi will introduce more features into the LED headlamps for U.S. imported cars as time goes on following on-going approval here in the U.S. After all, they were able to introduce the swiveling cornering lights on xenon headlamp units here in the states.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
There are differences as to what features will be included with the LED units---it's based on U.S. government safety regulations, as well as local State motor vehicle regs. In this case, for U.S. imported cars, there are limits to what Audi may be permitted to incorporate into these lights---at least until these features go through testing and approval at the U.S. Department of Transportation, and that is costly and takes long lead time. There may also be individual state restrictions that might preclude Audi from being able to install some other features like "range control." Me thinks that EU spec cars have already gone through this process, or perhaps may not need to (?)

It's my hunch that Audi will introduce more features into the LED headlamps for U.S. imported cars as time goes on following on-going approval here in the U.S. After all, they were able to introduce the swiveling cornering lights on xenon headlamp units here in the states.

Valid Point, but i am still trying to understand why they are listed as separate features in the ordering guide.

Why list adaptive head lights at all, if they will not come to the US, or mark the feature as a delayed introduction.

It clearly states in the ordering guide under Prestige Model features, Adaptive Headlights, Cornering lights. Some sort of exclusion should have been made to say that the adaptive headlight features is not available with Full LED Head lights. For that matter of fact, is there anyone here with regular xenon's who can testify whether there headlight move when the turn the steering wheel, while the car is moving of course , possibly from 15 mph and up.

How can Audi change there own definition of Adaptive Headlights, it means head light (low-Beams) will follow Steering input at a Certain Speed.

I have tons of Audis and have done alot of research, something is fishy here.

Either the vehicles have the feature or they don't, but i was looking forward to that feature, as i loved it in the 2011 A8 that i had for 2 Weekends. very disappointing, i suppose not the 1st time an ordering guide was wrong.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My observations so far with the A6 with full LEDs is that it definitely has range control since the lights move up and down when you start the car.

The lights do seem to be adaptive its subtle though, if its not my mind playing tricks on me. At a standstill if I turn the wheel without having the signals on, additional LEDS turn on to shine the directions of the wheel. I don't know if that is the corning or adaptive function. It seems to be the same lights that turn on when you press the all weather lights button. Also they don't just turn on and off they fade on and off.

The all weather function I don't understand yet though I just seems to turn on both cornering lights I don't know how that is supposed to reduce a reflection on wet surfaces as I think it suggests in the book.

Kevin
Old 08-26-2011, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Valid Point, but i am still trying to understand why they are listed as separate features in the ordering guide.

Why list adaptive head lights at all, if they will not come to the US, or mark the feature as a delayed introduction.

It clearly states in the ordering guide under Prestige Model features, Adaptive Headlights, Cornering lights. Some sort of exclusion should have been made to say that the adaptive headlight features is not available with Full LED Head lights. For that matter of fact, is there anyone here with regular xenon's who can testify whether there headlight move when the turn the steering wheel, while the car is moving of course , possibly from 15 mph and up.

How can Audi change there own definition of Adaptive Headlights, it means head light (low-Beams) will follow Steering input at a Certain Speed.

I have tons of Audis and have done alot of research, something is fishy here.

Either the vehicles have the feature or they don't, but i was looking forward to that feature, as i loved it in the 2011 A8 that i had for 2 Weekends. very disappointing, i suppose not the 1st time an ordering guide was wrong.
Gotta tell you that I'm confused. I have an '11 D4 A8 and the LED headlamps DO NOT MOVE. They are fixed. I see that the 2012 Order Guide lists "Adaptive Headlights" and "Cornering lights" separately as standard features on the A8/A8L (as well as for A7 and A6 Prestige packages), but were not listed as such for 2011 A8s. This gets more and more confusing.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KevinDaytona
My observations so far with the A6 with full LEDs is that it definitely has range control since the lights move up and down when you start the car.

The lights do seem to be adaptive its subtle though, if its not my mind playing tricks on me. At a standstill if I turn the wheel without having the signals on, additional LEDS turn on to shine the directions of the wheel. I don't know if that is the corning or adaptive function. It seems to be the same lights that turn on when you press the all weather lights button. Also they don't just turn on and off they fade on and off.

The all weather function I don't understand yet though I just seems to turn on both cornering lights I don't know how that is supposed to reduce a reflection on wet surfaces as I think it suggests in the book.

Kevin
Probably adaptive (now) means just the cornering lights coming on rather than the leadlamp unit swiveling. The lights leveling up/down I don't think qualify as "range control", but are the self-leveling feature. Range control (I believe) refers to the scope/distance of the headlight beam based on vehicle speed.

The all-weather light function works to diffuse the glare from your headlamps in rainy conditions by softening the illumination without decreasing the lighting distance; just like adding a softening agent to your laundry detergent---you're adding another layer, but it helps soften, not add more strength. Using these all-weather lights has also been somewhat effective for me in illuminating the sides of highways and rural roadways to spot deer in the dark that you might not readily at first see.

I'm no expert here, but that's my "lay" take on this.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think they might be redefining feature names. In my manual it says :
AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHTS WITH RANGE CONTROL.
The headlights do not blind oncoming traffic if the vehicle load changes. The headlight range also adjusts when braking and accelerating.
I thought it would also have the ability to adapt the lights to traffic and map data as it was shown in a video I saw somewhere. It says nothing about the function of it adjusting to oncoming traffic and their lights nor the satellite linked function where it would turn on the side lights at intersections.

In a separate section it does go on to describe dynamic curve light, that functions at speeds between 6 and 68 mph and adapts itself to curves in the road. So I think that function is there but they might just work without moving the lights.

Kevin
Old 08-26-2011, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KevinDaytona
I think they might be redefining feature names. In my manual it says :
AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHTS WITH RANGE CONTROL.
The headlights do not blind oncoming traffic if the vehicle load changes. The headlight range also adjusts when braking and accelerating.
I thought it would also have the ability to adapt the lights to traffic and map data as it was shown in a video I saw somewhere. It says nothing about the function of it adjusting to oncoming traffic and their lights nor the satellite linked function where it would turn on the side lights at intersections.

In a separate section it does go on to describe dynamic curve light, that functions at speeds between 6 and 68 mph and adapts itself to curves in the road. So I think that function is there but they might just work without moving the lights.

Kevin
Seems it's time they put out a video tutorial on this that explains it all, yes?
Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Seems it's time they put out a video tutorial on this that explains it all, yes?
Yes!! It's all very confusing before and after purchase as to what you get and in what market.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am confused. Stevial, there is no A8, any year any model any country, that come with LED headlights that actually turn themselves like the xenons. It just does not exist. There is not an Audi that is sold that will actually turn the LED headlights, not the A6 or A7 or A8. I have no idea what you saw during your test drive.

Quick Reply: LED headlamps