A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

LED headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hupark
I am confused. Stevial, there is no A8, any year any model any country, that come with LED headlights that actually turn themselves like the xenons. It just does not exist. There is not an Audi that is sold that will actually turn the LED headlights, not the A6 or A7 or A8. I have no idea what you saw during your test drive.
It was my dealership's first demo A8 SWB (Havanna Black Nougat, no audi connect, full led headlight option. I had the car for 2 weekends, I would remember seeing them swivel, when i was going around corners,

I even tested them by turning the car from side to side while doing about 35MPH down any empty road, and i could turn them off and on with settings in the mmi.

i remember this vividly, could it have been an optical illusion.

very strange, because i had the car, so i wanted to figure out everything on it so the 2 weekend i had it, i pretty much went through and played with every option in the MMI

Now here is where the confusion will start, look at the brochure page i have attached, its for the A7 in the UK, did audi change there definition of Adaptive light when it comes to the Full LED headlight.

There are 2 packages PXB which is the Xenon setup and PX2 which is the setup for the LED headlights.

Now the brochure does say that PX2 is not available with PXB , which makes sense since you can't have xenons and LED on the same car.

I just don't know, but i do remember seeing those led head lights move, i remember turning off the adaptive light feature and the headlights no longer moved from side to side, then i turned them back on and they moved again. I tested this feature several times, i taught it was so cool, and remember thinking, how the hell did they get all those lights to move.

But it was last Year when i had the A8, i could have imagined it all.

Also look at Audi's own definition of adaptive light

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/t...g.browser.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
a7-sportback page 50.pdf (272.2 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Stevial; 08-27-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 717 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevial
It was my dealership's first demo A8 SWB (Havanna Black Nougat, no audi connect, full led headlight option. I had the car for 2 weekends, I would remember seeing them swivel, when i was going around corners,

I even tested them by turning the car from side to side while doing about 35MPH down any empty road, and i could turn them off and on with settings in the mmi.

i remember this vividly, could it have been an optical illusion.

very strange, because i had the car, so i wanted to figure out everything on it so the 2 weekend i had it, i pretty much went through and played with every option in the MMI

Now here is where the confusion will start, look at the brochure page i have attached, its for the A7 in the UK, did audi change there definition of Adaptive light when it comes to the Full LED headlight.

There are 2 packages PXB which is the Xenon setup and PX2 which is the setup for the LED headlights.

Now the brochure does say that PX2 is not available with PXB , which makes sense since you can't have xenons and LED on the same car.

I just don't know, but i do remember seeing those led head lights move, i remember turning off the adaptive light feature and the headlights no longer moved from side to side, then i turned them back on and they moved again. I tested this feature several times, i taught it was so cool, and remember thinking, how the hell did they get all those lights to move.

But it was last Year when i had the A8, i could have imagined it all.

Also look at Audi's own definition of adaptive light

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/t...g.browser.html
I think AoA will have to update their website definitions to differentiate between xenon plus units and LED units. The service director at my dealer said there are no Audi LEDs that move laterally---all cornering function is static with the activation of the all-weather lamp taking the place of the directionally moving lights used on the xenon units. He also said that we don't have the satellite controlled road lighting capability in the U.S.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of this makes any sense to me because when you start the car, the lights do move up and down? why wouldn't they do the same while driving?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiR8A7
None of this makes any sense to me because when you start the car, the lights do move up and down? why wouldn't they do the same while driving?
That may just be a leveling feature. The lights on my 2006 A6 do that, and it doesn't have any kind of adaptive lighting.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
Didn't you have an A7 on order? Anyway, you don't get less with the LED headlights. Yes, they don't swivel like the traditional xenon ones, but with the addition of the "cornering lights" the field of illumination is actually broader when turning and when you have the signals on. The "cornering lights" don't turn on every time you turn your steering wheel but within parameters set by Audi. Hope this helps.
Hi Aquarian. I did... it's actually scheduled to arrive this week. I had some second thoughts (thinking it may be a tad to large for me) and also ordered an S4. I will check it out when it arrives and see if it gives me the same "must have it now" feeling as when I first laid eyes on it and ordered one immediately.

Cheers.

Last edited by roho3323; 08-29-2011 at 03:28 AM.