A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Tire Pressure Monitor Sytem (TPMS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitor Sytem (TPMS)

In the past, numerous times I have received a message that one or the other tire is low and I should check and reset the TPMS. Today I got a message that read: "Underinflated! Please check all 4 tires and reset TPMS in MMI"

I called the Audi service as I found difficult to believe that all 4 tires would go low, all at the same moment. I was told that it is caused by the dropping temperature (true enough, it is getting colder here) and I should just reset the TPMS, which I did. However, I would be much more comfortable knowing that the tire pressures are correct.

My question is this: The sticker on the door post lists the pressure for the tires. Is that pressure to be measured when the tires are cold or when they are hot?

Frank
Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pressures should be measured when tires are cold. And Audi is correct - pressures need to be adjusted to reflect ambient temperatures. Get a tire pressure gauge, add some air and then reset the TPMS again.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fkaufman
In the past, numerous times I have received a message that one or the other tire is low and I should check and reset the TPMS. Today I got a message that read: "Underinflated! Please check all 4 tires and reset TPMS in MMI"

I called the Audi service as I found difficult to believe that all 4 tires would go low, all at the same moment. I was told that it is caused by the dropping temperature (true enough, it is getting colder here) and I should just reset the TPMS, which I did. However, I would be much more comfortable knowing that the tire pressures are correct.

My question is this: The sticker on the door post lists the pressure for the tires. Is that pressure to be measured when the tires are cold or when they are hot?

Frank
Cold. Hopefully, there's a gas station close by to get an accurate fill. You can always take the reading in your garage and adjust when you get to the air pump. Don't forget the PSI drops by at least 1 for every 10 degree drop in ambient temperature, so factor that in as well.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Pardo
Cold. Hopefully, there's a gas station close by to get an accurate fill. You can always take the reading in your garage and adjust when you get to the air pump. Don't forget the PSI drops by at least 1 for every 10 degree drop in ambient temperature, so factor that in as well.
I should have paid more attention to the sticker in the car, it actually says "Cold pressure".

Fortunately I don't need to bother a gas station, have a number of compressors and accurate pressure gages on hand. I have pumped all 4 tires up this morning and reset the TPMS so all is well.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm disappointed that with all the tech this car has it doesn't tell you the actual pressure in each tire. There are much much much much cheaper cars that give you that info.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d2000one
I'm disappointed that with all the tech this car has it doesn't tell you the actual pressure in each tire. There are much much much much cheaper cars that give you that info.
Yup, miss it too. The Chevy Volt I traded in had that info, and I always had it visible in the driver's console center front! That being said, I also heard that the readings were not necessarily that accurate? so keep that VDO gauge handy
Old 10-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d2000one
I'll second that - my 08 A8 had it, and I had just assumed this would have too... I guess I was wrong
Old 10-25-2013, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

There are some very good reasons why Audi switched to a passive vs. direct TPMS system in 2010 for most models. Here's a lengthy thread on the topic; (note the last few posts).

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...highlight=tpms