A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter tires

Hi, needed some advice on winter tires for A7, Prestige, I believe they are 21/35... I did go to Costco but they did not have anything that would fit the A7. Any recommendations ?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sameerk
Hi, needed some advice on winter tires for A7, Prestige, I believe they are 21/35... I did go to Costco but they did not have anything that would fit the A7. Any recommendations ?

I am laughing at "did go to Costco." Its the last and worst place to take any luxury car with low profile rims to get new tires and balance. Their balancing machine are lousy and their workers have little expertise in proper mounting and balancing experience. Please go to www.tirerack.com and find a good winter tire in your size or downsize with a separate winter rim size 20 inch and get some tires for that. Get those tires drop shipped to the nearest tire rack recommended installer who has a hunter road force balancing machine that gives the most smoothest ride with the best balance ever compared to standard dynamic balancers these cheap places use. Your Audi was road force balanced by default from factory so aim to keep that feel with the new tires. I find it sad that anyone would take an A7 to Costco, no offense but I learnt from experience to take only a discount car to Costco or discount tire, lol.

Tirerack has superior customer service and will send a free tire if one of those new tires are defective and are out of round even slightly and does not pass the road force balance cut off limit which is 10 lbs out of round for my preference or I will feel slight vibrations at highway speed. They also include 2 year free road hazard protection for all tires and honor the tire mileage warranty and help prorate on a new set if existing set from tire rack does not meet the manufacture standard mileage wear cut off.

In your case, you have to take off your 21 inch rims and tires and store them in winter and get a 20 or 19 inch winter wheels and proper tires to go with it. There are no 21 inch winter tires for the 2019 Audi A7 in that size... I use 19 inch on my 2016 A7 with Michelin Alpine PA4 tires and 20 inch summer rims with Michelin PS4 summer tires. Its perfect. No point trying to ruin the tire and rim by keeping remounting the tires on them each fall and spring time. You save more money in long run with separate set.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

I have been very happy with my Yokohama Bluearth Winter V905, they were an improvement over my prior winter tires, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s, which were also good tires. You can’t go wrong with either tire. One is the top rated winter performance tire on Consumer Reports and the other is the top rated winter performance tire on Tire Rack.

Last edited by KevinGary; 01-21-2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

On a previous Audi (A6) I had Michelin Alpins and loved them.

I'll second Tirerack as a great option. I would also give your local Audi dealer a change to match Tirerack's price or at least get as close as they can
Old 01-23-2019, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I am laughing at "did go to Costco." Its the last and worst place to take any luxury car with low profile rims to get new tires and balance. Their balancing machine are lousy and their workers have little expertise in proper mounting and balancing experience. Please go to www.tirerack.com and find a good winter tire in your size or downsize with a separate winter rim size 20 inch and get some tires for that. Get those tires drop shipped to the nearest tire rack recommended installer who has a hunter road force balancing machine that gives the most smoothest ride with the best balance ever compared to standard dynamic balancers these cheap places use. Your Audi was road force balanced by default from factory so aim to keep that feel with the new tires. I find it sad that anyone would take an A7 to Costco, no offense but I learnt from experience to take only a discount car to Costco or discount tire, lol.

Tirerack has superior customer service and will send a free tire if one of those new tires are defective and are out of round even slightly and does not pass the road force balance cut off limit which is 10 lbs out of round for my preference or I will feel slight vibrations at highway speed. They also include 2 year free road hazard protection for all tires and honor the tire mileage warranty and help prorate on a new set if existing set from tire rack does not meet the manufacture standard mileage wear cut off.

In your case, you have to take off your 21 inch rims and tires and store them in winter and get a 20 or 19 inch winter wheels and proper tires to go with it. There are no 21 inch winter tires for the 2019 Audi A7 in that size... I use 19 inch on my 2016 A7 with Michelin Alpine PA4 tires and 20 inch summer rims with Michelin PS4 summer tires. Its perfect. No point trying to ruin the tire and rim by keeping remounting the tires on them each fall and spring time. You save more money in long run with separate set.

thanks a bunch.. v informative.. and as we speak I’m at the Tire Rack main warehouse in South Bend, getting hold of 19” Blizzaks... never realized I reside so close to the real deal.. thanks again...
Old 01-26-2019, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

thanks a bunch.. v informative.. and as we speak I’m at the Tire Rack main warehouse in South Bend, getting hold of 19” Blizzaks... never realized I reside so close to the real deal.. thanks again...
‘I would be interested in hearing about how loud the Blizzaks are and how they ride. They are supposed to be awesome in the snow, but the reports on noise and comfort scared me off. Let me know your experience after you get a few miles on them. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thats awesome to hear!! Definitely show some pics of new winter set up and get them road force balance or match mounted. You will be very happy.