A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 A8L 5000 Mile Report (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 08:49 PM
GSR
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 A8L 5000 Mile Report (long)

Well, here we are four months later and it's time for the 5000 mile service. The start was not auspicious - there was some confusion about the loaner car, and it wasn't ready when I dropped my car off at the dealer. However, I received a ride to work, and a second ride back to the dealer in the afternoon to pick up an 03 A6 as my loaner. It was mine to drive for the next week - that's how long it took to get my car back. The main problem was parts delivery - from little things (OnStar battery) to big things (new radio and Telematics control unit). So, when you take your car in for its initial service, expect that it may take many days, unless the parts pipeline has filled up.

Here are the problems I brought in (some of which have been discussed on this forum already) and the solutions.

Intermittent black screen on the MMI when it pops up - This problem was related to an incompatibility between the radio software and the MMI. The solution was replacement of the radio with a new one with an updated software version.

Gas cap warning light on frequently after refueling - This problem was solved with a replacement gas cap.

Intermittent activation of the tire pressure warning light - The dealer "topped up" the pressure on all four tires when they were cold, and then reset the tire pressure sensor on the MMI. (I knew that was the solution from the owner's manual, and wanted to be sure they figured it out as well.)

OnStar power light on "red" at all times - Not clear what the problem was, but it was addressed with both a new battery (the OnStar system has its own backup battery) and a new Telematics control unit.

With respect to the phone issue, I'm still pretty happy with my setup, using voice dialing (from AT&T) and a wireless Jabra headset with my Nokia 6160i. I'd love to have an updated MMI that was Bluetooth compatible; I'll keep waiting to see what happens.

Gas mileage on the car is now up to about 18 mpg for a mix of city/highway driving. That's about 1-2 mpg worse than my 97 A8. Worst tank was 13.5 mpg; best was 20.5 mpg. Freeway mileage is about 25 mpg. The heavier weight of the car and bigger engine dominate at the lower speeds of city driving, while the improved aerodynamics and gear ratios minimize the impacts on freeway driving.

Then, there was the kicker when picking the car up. I don't know why they make the service writer place the call - he's the one I nearly shot. When parking another car at the dealer, some car jock nestled the front bumper of a car into the rear bumper of mine, leaving two symmetric holes in my rear bumper.

So, the dealer will be repairing/replacing the bumper in a few weeks when I return from my Tour 'o Southwest: Sacramento to LA to Death Valley to Las Vegas to Sacramento. It's a business trip that's been on my calendar since before I bought the A8L, but I cancelled the plane reservations after I drove the car for a week.

More on that when I return.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not too bad except for the bumper dings. Have fun on your trip. Pics from your trip with the A8...
Old 10-21-2003, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 04 A8L 5000 Mile Report (long)

It sounds as though you are back on track! As far as the service dept. goes, IMHO it may vary among dealerships. I always try to get to know everyone up front and let them know that I am no more special than anyone else. Even when my patience seem to be at an end, I remain calm and I let them know that I understand their situation if there is one. For some reason, it has always worked and they seem to go the extra mile. Life is a two way street. I wish you tens of thousands of happy motoring miles.

greenie

04 A8L silver/sabre
Old 10-21-2003, 08:01 AM

I also had to have my radio replaced at 1,200 miles. I couldn't wait for the 5,000 mile service for that, my radio was completely dead. I never realized how much I like a radio in my car until I had to do without. Total service time was 2 days, which they warned me about. I now have 3,300 miles, and this car has been trouble free. (it's a launch model)
Old 10-21-2003, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the post. It is very useful to us all. Sorry about the bumper dings. Have a safe trip.