A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A8 4.2L with transmisson problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 A8 4.2L with transmisson problems

I am having an issue with my 2000 A8 with 69,000 miles. My issue is when starting from a stop it will rev up and shift real into 1st gear real hard. Then when it would down shift from 2nd to 1st it does the same thing. Everything ran just fine once I get into and past 2nd gear.

I took it to a local transmission guy that (supposedly) is very experienced in Audi transmissions. He told me that I needed my transmission rebuilt so I had him rebuild it and he said it still wasn't right. Then he thought I needed a new (used) TCM which he installed, but that didn't fix the problem. Now he thinks the wire loom in the valve body is bad so he has ordered one from the dealer which will not be in for 3 more days (he has had the car for 9 days now). He claims to have replaced some other electronics on the transmission (I'm not sure what other electronics he is speaking of though).

I would be very interested in any advice on this matter.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hopefully, TozoM8 will chime in with a more expert/hands-on opinion, but seems that your mechanic is your # 1 problem at this point...sounds to be completely unqualified.
Trans mechanics that know what they're doing do NOT just "try" things...If he thought it needed a rebuild to fix it and did indeed do a rebuild (doubtful...a "rebuild" should have included checking the small bundle of wires described), that should have been it..period.
IF it was a tcm problem, any mechanic qualified to do this work, would have known that...it's NOT a mystery to a qualified trans mechanic...it can be checked or analyzed by it's symptoms...it's a machine with rules, not brain surgery.
The "electronics" are in the tcm..the trans has a small set of electrically operated valves that just respond to signals from the tcm...other than that, a few sensors...all readable from outside with a plug in diagnostic, which would have been one of the first steps ANY trans man would have done BEFORE any disassembly.
You obviously have a trans (or trans control?) problem, but you first need to cure the mechanic problem. From what you've described, he is a bumbling idiot, just guessing wildly and costing $$ you probably didn't need to spend.
I'd be considering an attorney's advice.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all thank you for your response! I appreciate what you are saying and am concerned that you are probably right. I thought I had done my due diligence when selecting this trans shop. I am new to Audi ownership and bought the car knowing that it needed transmission work and at a price that reflected that. I live in the LA area and researched different shops on the internet before selecting this particular shop. I was told it would be a 2-3 day job and it is now going on 2 weeks. I am very concerned (and frustrated)that when I finally get the car back I will be plagued with future trans problems. He does offer a 25 month 25,000 mile warrenty, but I would prefer to just have a car that I can enjoy and not be affraid of.

I have a couple other issues with the car I need to have addressed and this forum seems to be an excellent source of information with a great community of very knowledgeable people that are willng to help...for this I am greatful!

Thank You!