A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 A8L Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2004 A8L Suspension...it all comes down to the dealer!

I had this problem, among others like the compressor blowing in my allroad...which was the true first Audi with active suspension. I'd rather try to have a problem like this resolved by the dealer & AofA, than go throught the gluton of problems with the BMW iDrive system or the multitude of quality problems with the current MB's....my suggestion is to ask for a replacement car if it can't be resolved in a timely fashion!
Old 08-28-2003, 08:48 AM

Default If you're game enough to buy a car at introduction in this day and age

then you better be able to put up with some bugs. If not, then don't waste the time. Even if there are only a few bad apples, their are always proportionally more in that first year.

Personally if I've learned anything it's not to buy a car in it's first year as an entirely new model, built from an entirely new platform.

I'm particular about my car and I'd probably be p.o.'d too I I were you, but then I've learned my lesson on a lemon Jeep GC and lemon GMC Yukon XL(both new, first model year). Both were great vehicles in theory but were serious trouble (like 3 out of 12 months in the shop type of trouble, brake failures, replacement of many major parts).

A new variation on an existing platform is usually OK, but an entirely new platform is just too much. I don't think it makes any difference which brand you buy, excepting maybe the Japanese Buick, err, Lexus.

Hopefully you will consider Audi again, just know that you are the type of person who probably shouldn't buy ANY car in its first model year. If you think Merc or Bimmer are great, you're ignoring a lot, if not most of their first model year efforts.

I have to say, too, Audi does have a lot of dealers who are not up to the market standard of service for the prices they are now commanding. Audi really needs to spend some time on its infrastructure and dealer network with regard to customer satisfaction. They're not usually horrible, but rarely are they up to the benchmark of this pricepoint.

In your case, that they have seemingly done the right thing, and quite gratiously, in comparison to the wars I had to wage for my buybacks. Overall, I'd say you're pretty lucky.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good post, well said
Old 08-28-2003, 10:22 AM

Default Lier, Lier, pants on.....

I am not questioning the validity of anyones claim, yet this guy owned this A8L for all this time, and after the fact he comes in and posts his opinion? I mean he never came online to ask anyone if they had a similar experience, and yet after the fact, he all of a sudden thinks to write on a Audi forum of a problem no one has ever had. Yes the early Allroads had some problems, yet I just don't BUY it!

And another thing, he owned 5 BMW, 5 Mercedes and a few Japanese Luxury cars, what are you 108 years old or drive your own car to make Fed EX deliveries?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:45 AM

Re: Lier, Lier, pants on.....could we have a troll that iDrives?
Old 08-28-2003, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Lier, Lier, pants on.....

Your post made me laugh - relax. That would be spelled Liar, I believe. And I didn't own the A8L for "all this time" before I posted -- I took delivery on Friday and had it in the shop Monday. I said I had to wait 5 months for delivery, not that I bounced around on the highway for 5 months before thinking of going to the dealer or posting here. And I am ALMOST 108 years old and I deliver pizzas in high class neighborhoods where all the kids are above average spellers. When the jacked up A8 pulled up with a trunkful of pepperonis, I think my customers thought I was a displaced low rider but I assured them it was just a sensor problem and that VW would fix it real soon. I wish I had a photo -- it looks like a funny car with small tires on the back.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:52 AM

Default Update: 2004 A8L Suspension

Various stories from the dealer today. One ride level sensor was defective, then two; then they had to "recode" the system, then discovered all 4 sensors needed replacing. Now it's "all set" I'm told. They say some of the first cars had defective sensors, mine were supposed to have been replaced at the port of entry before delivery but apparently weren't. I've agreed to take the car for another test, I hope this is my last bit of whining about this and that I don't have to start thinking about the lemon law. Thanks for your support, critiques and laughs, forum members.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:43 PM

Default Re: 2004 A8L Suspension

A word of compassion here.

I sympathize with Cohot and anyone else in his situation. I managed to drive my 2004 A8L for about 500 miles in June and July and although I experienced the "sensor failure" I missed the thrill of being uplifted into "Jacking Mode" while underway. I can't understand why anyone would:

(a) think that he is being unreasonable to be upset about this

(b) tell him to quit whining because the A8L is a "great" car etc. (Sounds more like the attitude one encounters in conversations about loyalty to a sports team, no?)

Anyway, Cohot, I hope this is the only trouble you have with your 2004 Audi A8L. Mine gave me enough downtime and misery that Audi bought it back, refunding the entire sum I paid under the lease. This was not, of course, accomplished without a lot of help from my dealer since Audi's area rep and the "Audi Advocate" did not seem very helpful. The sad history of my efforts to obtain support and "justice" can be reviewed by going back through this forum. I encountered many helpful and sympathetic owners, but also a lot of this weird abuse and I know it hurt.

In any case, I disagree with those who have responded to you with ridicule and disdain for your naiveté because you were "stupid enough" to expect this expensive new car to function correctly. I have been lurking on this forum since the happy day I gave back my A8L and got my new (reliable if not cutting-edge) Lexus LS-430. I have been pleased to see how few people have come forward with stories like my own. But even if 99% of these cars are working right, why anyone would bother to be surly to someone who ponied up all that money and finds himself driving a "haunted" car (or some cheesy loaner) is a continuing mystery of the internet. I think all car "buyers" and "owners" should keep a better sense of proportion and remember that it is only an accident of fate that your happily-working vehicle is not a lemon like Cohot's.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:07 PM

Thanks, buybeach. I'm not that thin-skinned but I appreciate your concern. And where does this faux loyalty to Audi come from in some forum members?? Audis are generally GOOD cars. They aren't Picassos in a field of Kinkades, they aren't Patek Phillipes in a field of Casios, they aren't Gretzkys in a rink full of peewees -- they are pretty good pieces of machinery in a pretty good lot, and they have some gizmos that set them apart from the competition in some ways. My choice of an A8 was based upon a desire to have the latest, not nec the best (because what is that?), but I did expect it to work as advertised.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:50 PM

If you have a problem with your car, Audi should fix it and treat you right. Anything less is not acceptable. The Japanese car companies have learned this. Hopefully Audi will also.

Quick Reply: 2004 A8L Suspension