A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 dash squeak is heard out of windshield dash vent over rough road...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-1999, 01:28 PM
chris

Default A8 dash squeak is heard out of windshield dash vent over rough road...

...and the dealership service department is baffled. They can't find the cause of the sweaking noise and are not sure what to do next. I've been without my car for over one month now. I have owned my 1999 A8 for less than a year and the problem has been present since the first week of ownership.

Has anyone else encountered this problem that may be able to shed some light as to how they can cure the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

Chris
Old 10-21-1999, 07:19 PM
Manny

Default Try some ArmorAll

I own a '99 A8 as well. I do not have the "squeak" you experience, but I have heard some similar noises in other parts. This is a problem I have had in other cars (other Audi) as well. I have found it beneficial to spray ArmorAll in any areas where leather or plastic joints are found. This usually fixes the problem. My A8 did have a noise in the right front door which turned out to be the "rivet" that holds the wood trim. The dealer corrected this by removing the panel and adjusting the metal rivet.
Old 10-22-1999, 01:17 PM
bill mills

Default Re: Try some ArmorAll

Don't know if this will fix your squeak since I am not sure what is causing it but for plastic on platic, plastic on metal, leather on plastic or leather on leater squeaks, try silicone spray as well. I have also heard talcum powder helps eliminate leather on leather squeaks. Either of these treatments will probably require maintaince just like changing the oil in your engine.
Old 10-22-1999, 01:22 PM
chris

Default Re: Try some ArmorAll

The problem is under the dash and the sound is coming from the air vent which supplies the windshield. Spraying or pouring any substance into the vent would be course of action I would be very hesitant to take.
Old 11-05-1999, 11:11 AM
Arthur

Default Re: A8 dash squeak is heard out of windshield dash vent over rough road...

Just a little info. try not to use Armor All. It looksgreat at first, but ir reaks havoc on your car's interior. There are products that cost a little more, but when you spend 60-70 k on a auto, what's a couple extra dollars. The armor all actually helps (in easy speak) suck the moisture out of dash and other parts you use it on.