A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aargh.... Trying to get a new A8L...... So frustrated! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So... what do you sell?

I have met a few salespeople that seem to respect my shopping strategy. However, 4 years ago when I was shopping for my current vehicle, I came across some real winners. Needless to say, I didn't bother giving them a second thought this time around.

The stupidest (is that a word) salesman worked at the Chrysler dealer, I explained to him that I was only test driving, and doing research and that I wouldn't be ready to buy for at least 2 or 3 weeks. I also described to him the variety of cars I had already checked out, so he knew what caliber of car I was comparing the 300M with. He then proceeded to walk me over to a vehicle to drive, however, before he even unlocked the car, he asked me "What can I do to get you into this car today?" That should have been my clue to turn around and run. I reminded him that I wasn't going to buy that same day. We took it out for a drive, and the jerk wouldn't let me drive it on the freeway! He said it was their policy to only allow people to drive on surface streets - I guess I should have floored it going down the street on my way back to their lot. The car was worthless, compared to everything else I had driven, everytime I drive by their car lot I bristle.

However, I think most salespeople at higher end dealerships are usually pretty attentive. Although, after I bought my Mercedes, I never heard another peep out of my salesman - until this past February, reminding me that it had been 4 years since I bought my car, and maybe I'd be interested in seeing the new model.

The salesman that I've been dealing with during this current transaction finally admitted to me yesterday that he's trying to finalize my deal before the end of the month so he can get his bonus - sorry, I'm not very sympathetic, I'm just trying to get the car that I want :-) not just the car that is convenient for him to sell and get off his lot.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:37 PM

Default I sell Chevy actualy. 80% of our sales are trucks, and the previous owner of my A8 ...

now drives a Tahoe. I understand both sides of the table.

A lot of the problems seem to stem from negotiating dealers who are paid on the amount that they can get over invoice. The problem with that is that the little old trusting lady on social security ends up paying through the nose, and the informed rich person who could afford the markup, or even to buy the store, ends up paying a dollar over invoice. One of the reasons I decided to work at the store I do is that it is a best price store, that means no negotiating. It also means we have to offer a fair price upfront, or everyone would beat our prices. Most of our vehicles we make less than 500 over invoice (that is <2%ish), and everyone pays the exact same price.

The other benefit of what we do is that we get paid the same for a cavalier and a corvette, so we don't try to push people into more profitable cars. I like being able to give people information to help them make a good decision for themselves, not for my wallet. Think automotive consultant, not car salesman. (only it doesn't pay as well as it sounds :-P )

On the other hand there are a lot of people who say they are just shopping as a defence mechanism because "that is what you are suposed to say". People want a car purchase to be logical, but if we were using rational thought everyone would be driving hybrid minivans. Emotion is the reason why we have Audi, Mercedes, ... Lamborghini, etc. I dunno, I like being able to help people into a new or used vehicle even when we are all programed to say no do car sales people and strangers with candy.

If anyone has any questions about how the car sales game works, I would be happy to lend my limited experience. Or if anyone needs a chevy...
Old 03-30-2004, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I might need a chevy p.u. :)

Our kids are 13 & 15 and I keep threatening them that their first vehicle will have to be a pickup so I will have a vehicle to drive to the garden supply store!
Old 03-31-2004, 09:02 AM

Default Not a problem, where are you located?

We have over a hundred trucks here, new and used if there is anything you are looking for I would be happy to help out, even if it just for information.

Every now and then we even get some Audis through here, the most recent was an A4 with 60k on it. It didn't stay long enough for me to even buy it! Now if you need a loving home for your RS6 ... :-) (heh heh heh)
Old 03-31-2004, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Living in Vermont qualifies you as anything BUT a dork!
Old 03-31-2004, 10:27 AM

Default Thanks. ;) You from around this way somewhere?

Or are you just a fan of our fabulous maple syrup and skiing? (unfortunately the local ski report is not looking too good for anything snow related)

Wait, I know, you are hooked on Cabot aren't you? Ah ha, I knew it! :-)