A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking front...leaking subframe bush

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The engine mounts don't have oil in them. If your leak is on the driver's side (left) then you have a power steering leak.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You're shattering my reality again

40V motors have 2 stage solenoid controlled hydraulic (fluid chambers) mounts, which ETKA calls "electric hydro-mounts".

On previous 32V motors, ETKA calls them "hydro-mounts".

NOT fluid filled at all??!! Why are they called "hydro"? ...Water? ...not oil? ...solid...or what?

1999 printing of info for US Audi mechanics about the 40V engine in A8:

Name:  40Venginemounts.jpg
Views: 5142
Size:  130.1 KB
Old 08-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to have a look and track the source of the oil down. Its too thick for engine oil. I've had plenty of cars with oil filled engine mounts...are these seriously solid mounts? A quick check of the power steering oil level will no doubt tell me a lot

EDIT: Cheers Sam ...man these things are like Space Shuttles when you get into them

Last edited by Proph3t; 08-23-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Proph3t
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to have a look and track the source of the oil down. Its too thick for engine oil. I've had plenty of cars with oil filled engine mounts...are these seriously solid mounts? A quick check of the power steering oil level will no doubt tell me a lot
I'm just as anxious to know, myself...I don't have access to a 32V...I own a 2001 40V A8 and truly believed that previous models had oil (fluid?) filled mounts, too.
But. Tozo is the dude who'd know...he works on all years professionally. I only work on my own cars. Sorry if I've misinformed you.
Live and learn ....But I still wanna learn more about this.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just because I'm a curious guy and for others' academic purposes: A comparison of 32V and 40V mounts...one of the reasons I believed them to be similar.
Same body and construction, down to almost every outer detail..other than the valve that opens/closes an air chamber between hydraulic fluid chambers, that softens (open) the mount at idle and creep speed (up to 1100 rpms) on the 40V valve version.
Can't find a diagram anywhere on the 32V mount interior...just called a "hydro-mount" by all suppliers.
On kind of a related side note: Have also found that ETKA does not contain any U.S. model specific info....doesn't even list my engine code and shows the wrong engine & mounts for my year model. Maybe the two stage elctro-hydraulic mounts, definitely on my car (confirmed), were a U.S. market thing on facelift D2's(?)...ETKA shows these type mounts on all D3 (2004 & later) cars.

Look at the similarity (almost identical) here...pics from "redlinemotive.com" :

40V (AUX) mount:
Name:  A840Venginemount.jpg
Views: 2344
Size:  32.3 KB

32V (ABZ) mount:
Name:  A832Venginemount.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  26.5 KB

Last edited by silverd2; 08-24-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the great pictures Sam. What version of ETKA are you using? Theres different versions for different countries. If you "acquire" it off the internet you should be able to get the International version. I'll have to see if my ver.7.3 International has US models, being "International" it should. If so I'll send you the link.

By the look of the mount I should only have to undo 3 bolts, and lift the engine enough to get that centre cone out. Much easier than other cars that have the bolts built into the mount, and you have to lift the engine about six inches...which doesnt happen easily.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the great pictures Sam. What version of ETKA are you using? Theres different versions for different countries. If you "acquire" it off the internet you should be able to get the International version. I'll have to see if my ver.7.3 International has US models, being "International" it should. If so I'll send you the link.

By the look of the mount I should only have to undo 3 bolts, and lift the engine enough to get that centre cone out. Much easier than other cars that have the bolts built into the mount, and you have to lift the engine about six inches...which doesnt happen easily.
My bad...I have version 7.3 (just for a couple of weeks). I had it set to "local market" instead of "USA"...found my engine and a correct part # for my mounts...but the drawings with that page are wrong...shows a drawing of a 32V motor and old style non-electric mounts. Other parts of the engine section show correct drawings for components of the AUX engine. Everything seems to be there..just need to spend a little more time exploring.

Regardless of your type of mount, Tozo has a point about the source of the oil on your subframe bushing...on closer investigation, the mount is about 8" inboard of that bushing and mounted lower to the ground. Directly over the bushing are power steering lines and the ABS module...so, don't know.
But your symptoms of clunking and acceleration vibration make me wonder about the mount and other suspension bushings (on upper and lower arms, esp for "clunking")...but all just a guess...curious to see what you discover on closer inspection.

P.S. still very curious about whether described "hydro-mounts" on your car are filled with anything....If you actually change one and it doesn't look breached, do me a favor and stick an ice pick in it, to see if it bleeds hydraulic fluid

Cheers

Last edited by silverd2; 08-24-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm on the Sunshine Coast just north of Brisbane (Queensland capital). I have family in both Melbourne and Sydney...and just returned from Tasmania...home of the greatest Drivers Road in the world (according to Top Gear...and me )

Thanks again Sam.
Yep, I really enjoyed driving in Tasmania...covered just about every square inch of the island, photographing wildlife & scenery. A rental Nissan Bluebird was NOT quite the ultimate driving machine, though...plus it was my first time behind the wheel of a RHD on the left side of the road.
But, I found that after that experience, I had no trouble adapting quickly during later visits to the UK and NZ...it planted permanent "cookies" in my brain
Old 09-04-2011, 04:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok lads, here's an update.

-I have normal engine mounts...and they arent leaking or appear broken.

-Oil is indeed coming from a slow power steering leak. There was loads of oil sprayed around everywhere on the pipes and back along the subframe mount area, so I degreased all it and will look in a few days to find the source.

-The Bilstein shockabsorber is indeed weeping oil, and the top rubber stop is quite deteriorated.

-The rear-ward bottom control arm is stuffed lol read:clunk clunk.

I was hitting all the joints and bushes with a rubber mallet and they were all just a dull thud, but the bottom rearward balljoint returned a nice *clunk* in all directions I hit it. Also the bush on the body end appears perished (along with several other bushes)

So I've ordered a left and right kit to replace the 4 arms, bushes and balljoints, and will chase up some new front shockies, hopefully Bilsteins wont brake the bank...again lol. A little mifted these ones didnt last longer. I've had standard shock last a lot longer than these and they didnt cost $400each!

Here's some pics of the engine mount, shockie, shockie bush, and my grubby little girl who decided to help.
Attached Images     
Old 09-04-2011, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So quick update....trying to order these front lower arms.

Apparently the A8 FWD and Quattro had different balljoints, and therefor different lower arms.

The most forward lower left arm, where the shock mounts, that I happened to take a photo of had the OEM number 4D0407155F...which appears as a 94-99 A4/S4 ????

Only 4D0407155 *P* (not F) seems to appear as A8Q related.

Any ideas whats going on there? Have my arms been replaced by a previous owner; crash repair maybe, or hopefully just more odd parts on my car from the factory. ie.Gearbox.

I'll give the guy the other 3 numbers tomorrow after I read them off the arms, and hopefully he can match it up to a kit, A8 or not. I really hope so as its only AU$250 delivered for 4 arms, bushes and balljoints included

Quick Reply: Clunking front...leaking subframe bush