Dead Instrument Cluster - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002

Dead Instrument Cluster

Reply

 
 
 
Old 05-16-2017, 05:34 AM
  #1  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
2001 S8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 458
Default Dead Instrument Cluster

Well I now have the dreaded "immobilizer has failed" scenario. The only thing I can do at this point is go to the dealer, buy a brand new cluster and have them program it and reinstall.

I checked with BBA-Reman and the lady I spoke to seemed very positive about fixing my instrument cluster until I said "dead immobilizer". Her voice tone then turned to a "sorry you poor bastard" we can't do anything for you.

I've check all other possible issues; fuse, battery, water in ECU box. (that thing was bone dry) So I'm off to the dealer to set-up an appointment. It will take around 10 days before the car is done.

The other option I’m considering is to scrap-it, but I don't think I can bring myself to do that.

I'll post my decision/results.

Attached are a couple of photos of the old girl being carted off.
Attached Thumbnails Dead Instrument Cluster-0515170804.jpg   Dead Instrument Cluster-0515170808.jpg  

Last edited by 2001 S8; 06-23-2017 at 03:26 PM.
2001 S8 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,736
Default

Originally Posted by 2001 S8 View Post
Well I now have the dreaded "immobilizer has failed" scenario. The only thing I can do at this point is go to the dealer, buy a brand new cluster and have them program it and reinstall.

I checked with BBA-Reman and the lady I spoke to seemed very positive about fixing my instrument cluster until I said "dead immobilizer". Her voice tone then turned to a "sorry you poor bastard" we can't do anything for you.

I've check all other possible issues; fuse, battery, water in ECU box. (that thing was bone dry) So I'm off to the dealer to set-up an appointment. It will take around 10 days before the car done.

The other option Iím considering is to scrap-it, but I don't think I can bring myself to do that.

I'll post my decision/results.

Attached are a couple of photos of the old girl being carted off.
I sincerely hope that you tried unplugging and replugging the instrument cluster connections.
This same issue happened to me and many others on their d2's and this resolved the issue.

Good luck,

-Richard
audinutt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 AM
  #3  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
S8LEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Long Island
Posts: 67
Default NOOOOOOOOO

Please don't scrap such a nice car..I sincerely hope you can fix it cheaply.
S8LEE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:20 PM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
2001 S8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 458
Default

audinutt: I'll check with my mechanic. He's pretty thorough but I'll see.

S8LEE: If audinutt's advice doesn't work, the dealer is the next step. BTW: the junkyard quoted me $450 for her. LOL
2001 S8 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:24 PM
  #5  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
S8LEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Long Island
Posts: 67
Default

Originally Posted by 2001 S8 View Post
S8LEE: If audinutt's advice doesn't work, the dealer is the next step. BTW: the junkyard quoted me $450 for her. LOL
WOW. i'm in the wrong business. the junk yard would make thousands on it.
I'll take the decklid and the side view mirrors if they power fold..
S8LEE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:35 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 723
Default

Can't you get a cluster and ECU from the same donor (and a key, ideally)?
jfrahm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:44 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
2001 S8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 458
Default

Huge thanks to Audinutt! Went to the car this morning, I pulled out the instrument cluster, unplugged, waited 30 seconds, plugged the three connectors back in and she fired right up. Drove her to work and everything worked as usual.

Don't know if this is a long term or short term fix but a win is a win.

Last edited by 2001 S8; 05-17-2017 at 09:11 AM.
2001 S8 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:42 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
2001 S8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 458
Default

This has been said before but the knowledge that is known and shared on this site is invaluable. I want to do what I can to pay it forward, below is the link to instructions on removing the instrument cluster. I've also included at pdf of the removal procedure for reference, in case in the future the link is broken.

Audi Pages

Once again a huge thanks to audinutt. Those two sentences you wrote saved me over $1500.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audi Dash Removal.pdf (4.27 MB, 57 views)
2001 S8 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:22 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,736
Default

Originally Posted by 2001 S8 View Post
Huge thanks to Audinutt! Went to the car this morning, I pulled out the instrument cluster, unplugged, waited 30 seconds, plugged the three connectors back in and she fired right up. Drove her to work and everything worked as usual.

Don't know if this is a long term or short term fix but a win is a win.
It should be a long term fix.
Same thing happened on my A8L several years ago.
Went to lunch with my girlfriend (at the time.. now wife).
Walked her inside back to work. Jumped in car. turned key, noticed dash lights not all lit.

Proceeded to start car... fired and shut off. tried again... same.
I grabbed some tools I had, yanked the cluster and re-plugged it.


Problem solved.

-Richard
audinutt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:23 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,736
Default

Oh if you're going to scrap her, i'll offer $650 now that it's running

kidding..


-Richard
audinutt is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: